Lowered 60mm But not much change in ride hight

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
classiccoupe
fill in the right answer: 10

Lowered 60mm But not much change in ride hight

Post by classiccoupe »

Hi, I lowered my Roc on some Supersport sprint lowering springs shocks and fitted new Febi top mounts.

60mm drop, handles amazing, feels really tight, the only issue I have is that the ride hight does not seemed to have changed much, I am still on standard bump stops, the bump stop seems to have squashed up inside the top mount, there's a little bit of room for the plastic cap to move, but not much.

I am thinking of cutting the bump stop down, do you think this will help to settle the suspension? just dont look like a 60mm drop, I have added a pic.

Das Auto.
Mr Funk

Re: Lowered 60mm But not much change in ride hight

Post by Mr Funk »

Give it a bit of time to settle. You're right though, doesn't look that much lower.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

From looking at the height in that photo, I think you'll find that the front end is sat on the rubber bump stops meaning the springs aren't doing the job they should be and the "spring" is being provided by the rubber. I found cutting down the stop ended up with blown dampers and crashing nosies through the cabin so wouldn't recommend it.
I ended up using some Fiat Panda foam stops on the recommendation of someone on the mk1 Golf owners club which were shorter so the strut worked properly with no crashing, but my actual measured drop was only 40mm using Eibach springs, 60 might be too much for them.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
classiccoupe

Post by classiccoupe »

Great advice once again, thank alot guys, make rocco ownership that much sweeter ;0)

Das Auto.
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Cool, forgot to say that years ago when I did lower my car 40mm it sat on the standard rubber stops and drove horribly!

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
classiccoupe

Post by classiccoupe »

I took 3 anal beads of the bump stop, not sure if thats what there called, but they look like em, not that I know what they look like, lol ;)

Anyway Its sits lower now about 10 mill lower I would say, but could come down a bit more, I think I will try some other bump stops.

Das Auto.
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Try the shorter bumpstops from the Mk 2 Golf or Rallye, but you will need the matching plastic covers. Or you could use the later rubber bellows instead of the plastic cups for the front strut protection.

stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx »

You could try some adjustable poly bump stops like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prothane-22-1 ... 2211wt_985

Nate

Post by Nate »

is it the photo, or is your front plate wonky?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3