Badge clips

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Tim_R
fill in the right answer: 10

Badge clips

Post by Tim_R »

Can anyone tell me if the clips that hold the vw badge on the boot lid are smaller than the ones which hold the Volkswagen and Scirocco badges on?

Mine appear to be smaller but I'm not sure if that's just down to the amount of paint that's gone on. ETKA doesn't seem to list anything different.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
MacColl

Re: Badge clips

Post by MacColl »

I'm pretty confident they are all the same for the rear tailgate. I got them off an old Mk2 Golf tailgate along with a mint badge.

Think they are standard for many VW's. Think these are the same..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-MK1-MK2- ... 3f097bee80

eefy

Post by eefy »

I got them from the dealer about 12 months ago, about 2p each!!!!!! the originals are blue from memory, keep meaning to order in a load, just incase!!!!

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

I've got a bunch of blue ones from the dealers but they are just too large it looks like. I'll take a photo at lunchtime if I get chance.

I was just wondering if anyone else had already come across the issue?

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
jbo

Post by jbo »

Tim_R wrote:I've got a bunch of blue ones from the dealers but they are just too large it looks like. I'll take a photo at lunchtime if I get chance.

I was just wondering if anyone else had already come across the issue?
They should go in but you reallly have to push hard. Make sure the notch is horizontal otherwise the badges wont stay.

Jason

eefy

Post by eefy »

from memory the outer lip of the blue clip sits just outside of the panel :)

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

A photo to show what I mean. The blue clips will fit in the holes and would sit flush with the panel when fully pressed home. But the ends of them barely fit in the holes for the VW badge. I vaguely remember replacing the clips that held the badge on years ago as they were broken and let water it and the badge had sat flush to the panel before I did that.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
jxp

Post by jxp »

I had this issue a while ago, think you need the black ones. I gave up and used thin double sided tape till i get the right ones.

1985 MK2 Flash Silver GTX 1.8 8v
2002 Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

The clips I got were black and actually off a Mk2 Polo not a Golf :blush: Looking at those blue ones they look like something off a later VW like the ones I've seen on my 91 Mk2 golf.

That link I gave you should be the right ones and probably available from dealer also.

DannyH

Post by DannyH »

The dealer gives you the blue ones for my 92 Scala?

Danny
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

MacColl wrote:The clips I got were black and actually off a Mk2 Polo not a Golf :blush: Looking at those blue ones they look like something off a later VW like the ones I've seen on my 91 Mk2 golf.

That link I gave you should be the right ones and probably available from dealer also.

ETKA gives me the same part number for the golf, 'rocco and mk 2 polo so I'm utterly bemused as to what VW *should* supply.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I'll take a look at the boot of my GTX breaker tomorrow if the weather's amenable. I'm sure I've got an early mk2 bootlid with no badges but the clips still in place in the garage as well - although I remember them being blue.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Have you repainted the boot?

Might be a build up of paint around the hole, either make the hole bigger with a small file or the clips smaller.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

mark1gls wrote:Have you repainted the boot?

Might be a build up of paint around the hole, either make the hole bigger with a small file or the clips smaller.
Yes the whole car has been painted and there is some buildup, the holes for the "Volkswagen" and "Scirocco" badges are slightly smaller than they were, but what I'm getting at is that the 2 holes for the round VW badge are smaller again, compared to the others.

I had a mooch around my favorite scrapyard last weekend and went around various VWs liberating plastic badge clips, they even have a black GT in, so I had a look at the clips from this, all were black and all the same size as the replacement blue ones now available from the dealer.

I really don't want to have to take a drill or file to my nice new paint!

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB