Mars Red GTX Restoration

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mars Red GTX - The restoration..

Post by the edmundator »

Out of interest (and slightly off-topic) were you at Thruxton for the GTI championship round a couple of weeks ago? Golfs provided the best entertainment in an otherwise rather tedious weekend's (thankfully rained-off) racing. I was sat in a rescue vehicle waiting to save lives if necessary. I mostly work BARC events at Thruxton or Brands - I must come and say hi if you're at either of those when I'm around.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Hi, No I wasnt at Truxton, that was the Production Gti lads, a good few of my friends race in this (Simon Hill, Nick Porter) I race in the original Golf Gti Championship. the racing is a littel closer in our championship due to the numbers and how long we've been running! If you can get a chance then come to a round, and definatly come and say hi!

Motorsport is my passion.
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Ah, right. I didn't know the country needed two mk2 Golf GTI championships. I like to watch my club racing from the middle of the circuit, and be paid for it :hugegrin:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Few terriblw pics from my phone of the rear arch work thats been carried out. Its all stonchipped and sealed now. Nice and solid for the winter now! Arches all sikoflexed back on too. Really solid repair. Filler neck was mint too. :vcool:

markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Looking good. :hi:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Black 1 looked a very nice car shame you broke it but we all live and learn, the red looks very nice as well i can see it is coming on be great to see latter on and how it develops.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Cheers mate, the old one was Royal blue (LA5U). Looks a lot darker/black in the pics though I agree!..

My pedal box arrived in the post last week ready to send away to be modified for intergral hydro clutch and twin cylinder, bias adjustable brakes, to get rid of the brake cross linkage. Also the hydro clutch is going to be essential for the 02a gearbox which will be mated to the 20vt :chill: That will all be installed when I do the engine change, and look factory! (Bi-winning!?)

Have sourced some 100mm driveshafts and a Corrado 2.0l 16v 02a gearbox as well - Nice ratios. :yup:
I'll have to modify my hubs to accept the 100mm driveshaft as I have the earlier hubs, but thats no real hassle.

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Great she is coming on then getting the parts for her ready to be fitted,ok the old 1 was not black just the way looks in the picture on here, thats ok you are very welcome.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

I'll let the pictures do the talking! :vcool:

G Beats

Re: Mars Red GTX - Big update :-)

Post by G Beats »

Very nice black shiny new parts looks very good.

Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Unfortunately not for the GTX, but a couple of pics of my new race car engine coming on..

After number 1 big end bearing let go at Cadwell Park, it required 1 new piston, a head skim and block deck, bore hone, new rings for all pistons, bearings a seal throughout, new rods and bolts (Main crank pulley bolt, clutch to crank bolts, clutch cover bolts, rod bolts, main bolts, head bolts.. etc etc. All the ancilleries re-powdercoated or vapour blasted. new oil pump, and maticulous clean throughout. New oil cooler and pipes to fit too..

Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

The smallest things make me so happy! :hugegrin: Finally got some brass parcel shelf clips!
Now every time I open the boot, the parcel shelf doesn't fall onto the boot floor! :groove:

Col

Post by Col »

ooo where did you get the brass ones from? i've got a bad case of shelf-falling-into-boot-itis too.

Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Hey Col, got lucky on the 'parts for sale' section.. :mafia:

All I need now is a black parcel shelf with no chav speaker holes in it!

Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Perfect! :vcool:

Not so perfect! :ire:
Impeller in the lift pump self destructed!- New one ordered from Volksbits.. Funny thing is the old girl still got me home!

In other (non-Scirocco) news, the race car is back up and running nicely with her new heart! :vcool: fired on the button with no leaks to a steady 1000rpm.. Thats how I roll!! Rolling road on Saturday for running in and setting up! :mafia: