1979 Scirocco GLS 1272cc

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Winston
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1979 Scirocco GLS

Post by Winston »

I plan to take it to VWNW, Edition38 and maybe players

The welder (my mates dad glyn) came up a few weeks ago and spotted me playing with the ktec sidey working out how I could make it into an exhaust. In short he told me sell it on and just buy mild steel pipe work and he would knock me one up. With this in mind it would be rude not to knotch it up to 3", so I bought a selection of 3" pipe work, silencers and bends from merlin motorsport.

We made a start on it today. He thinks im mental but he puts my ideas into metal and we have a good laugh at the results.. Im over the moon with this evil monster dowpipe he has created. Just the back box or should that be front box left to do haha. Im still not sure if I have the balls to cut a hole in the bottom of my wing and have it fully poking out?

Last edited by Winston on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Great stuff winston, should be at all 3 with corrado/r32, catch you then.

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
Winston

Post by Winston »

If you see the car at a show, Im the tall guy with specs thats most likey stood near it.. :hehe:

I got a few bits done this weekend and ordered plenty of niggles from ebay.

My hose solutions oil feed (take two) turned up on friday. This time it fitted perfectly :approve:

I revised the Intercooler piping. Im waiting on hose clamps coming in the post. I did want to use s**tty old looking ones but they just destroyed them selfs when I was cranking them up. lol

Ive spent most of the weekend working on something to get me more lows but I should really focus on getting it on the road tbh haha

Winston

Post by Winston »

Sorry for the lack of updates guys.

Well the engine bay is pretty much done (bar the wiring that will be taped up and hidden once I know it all works) I had a crack at doing the wiring my self and should be doing the big start up some time soon all being well, I just need to get some engine oil. :D

I have also sprayed my downpipe/exhaust with clear VHT paint.. it was worth a go. I just hope it doesn't all burn off to soon as I think it looks awesome <3

Winston

Post by Winston »

It's Alive!!!!

I will get some vids once it hits the road, it sounds like a ill dumper truck haha

The first problem I came across was the vac canister fouled on the water housing. I fitted a spare with a standard can to get it running. Then I flipped the dizzy so the canister sat at the front problem solved.. looks dope to haha

Now the engines running Ive slowly been getting my head round the rest of the 70's electrics to get everything working as it should. Ive been chasing faults with not much luck, in the end the problem was the dash loom and fuse box so I swapped them for a spare I happened to have. After that I was left with tidying up my wiring and soldering all the joins etc. No pictures of this bit as I would rather forget it happened haha

With all the wiring sorted it was time to get the interior out of my bedroom and into the car. Its the first time ive seen the full interior in the car and its made it feel like a car again. just needs a few niggles like lower dash trays to finish it off (poor pictures sorry) :o

I had a custom lower gearbox made by a local lad called Arun he has the sickest Mk1 Golf. The ground clearance is most excellent. 8) (Sorry Arun thats the only picture I got due to rushing to get it on for the MOT.. the paint was still drying haha)

As you can see the cars low again thats because the car flew through its MOT yesterday. I had to rig up a standard exhaust I had lent off my mates project :wink: :wink: . but other than that it was all good. I just need to save for tax and insurance now and finish off the niggles. :-D

eefy

Post by eefy »

thats soooooooooooo loooooooooowwwwwwwwww, it would had problems getting of my drive lol

well you've got 4 days to save up and get it taxed and insured ready for the national meet ;)

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Very nice car i see you have done quite a lot to her.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Winston

Post by Winston »

Sadly its going to miss another national meet and im not even sure it will make tatton now :dash:

I think I will have to choose my routes very wisely haha but it looks lower then it is in the pictures. I will see how I get on once it hits the road :hugegrin:

Cheers geebeats, its been nice to have this year to really but my own stamp on the car.

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Thats ok you are very welcome, awww thats a real shame was looking at seeing this on sat but good things come to those who wait or so they say , you can always put air suspension and adjust or down with a switch of a button but they cost a lot of money here--

http://airride.co.uk/?page_id=14

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
G40 Ad

Post by G40 Ad »

By far my favourite car at Tatton this weekend - didnt get to meet you but loved the car... cracking stuff! I should have guessed that Az might have had a hand in a car that low!

Winston

Post by Winston »

I had thought about airride but I needed to do the work to get the car low enough to make air worth while.. ie Knotches, gearbox mount, Exhaust and top mounts. Its very hard to get a Mk1 rocco looking low :(

Cheers Ad.. The car got alot of attention at Tatton, I was rather shocked tbh :hehe: I still wasn't happy with how the car sat. The dodgy ground and positive camber on the front pissed me off no end but any way here a few snaps I took.

And to prove the car just about drives that low ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Tu7AjP ... ture=share

Calvert

Post by Calvert »

Loved looking around this yesterday!

Best car of the show!

Winston

Post by Winston »

To be favourite car of the show means alot to me guys... I always ask my mates this question on the way home :hehe:

Calvert

Post by Calvert »

Be awesome if you could get over to the next unphased meet!

Winston

Post by Winston »

I will be whoring it about after ive made sure its got to edition38 haha.. Im not sure it will get in the boat yard tho? I will bring my planks of wood ;).