1979 Scirocco GLS 1272cc

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
XAJAYX

Re: 1979 Scirocco GLS

Post by XAJAYX »

is that the right colour?

Winston
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Winston »

It was just an aerosol I had made up from the paint code... Its turned out being abit more grey than the original colour. I wouldn't mind painting the whole car that colour.

Winston

Post by Winston »

I picked the cam seal up on friday so I got the cambelt, water pump and GT camshaft fitted and engine dropped in.

Ive now got a nice big list to work at :training:

Winston

Post by Winston »

Now the engine is in I have ran into a few problems

1. The carb fouls the bonnet with the adaptor plate on so ive got to drill and tap the inlet manifold and even then it will be tight.

2. My turbo is upside down so the oil feed and drain wouldn't work.. I can't rotate the housings due to it being seized so Im on the hunt for a new turbo.. wish I had noticed sooner before I had bought lots of parts for the current turbo.. Oh well live you learn.

3. The shocks bottom out due to it being to low.. So I need to purchase some balljoint raisers as I can't raise my turrets like the Mk1 Golf boys because I have no room.. Im just waiting on the company getting back intouch on how to pay.

4. Looms are going to be a nightmare.. Its looking like I need to make the under bonnet looms from scratch.

Once these problems are sorted im sure I will have another list of problems to deal with.. Why do I make things hard for myself LOL
Last edited by Winston on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Loving the rusty rocker cover (you're not painting/polishing this are you?), great pics !

Winston

Post by Winston »

I have great love for the rusty camcover... I want the engine to look as much like an old Mk1 1300 engine as posible :vcool:

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Winston wrote:I have great love for the rusty camcover... I want the engine to look as much like an old Mk1 1300 engine as posible :vcool:
I smell a tax fiddle coming, haha :D

Winston

Post by Winston »

Declaring the 1.3 to the DVLA would make it drop to the 1.3 tax bracket but I have been informed it is a nightmare to do this as they want engineers reports etc... So it will be fun sorting that out :hehe:

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Winston wrote:Declaring the 1.3 to the DVLA would make it drop to the 1.3 tax bracket but I have been informed it is a nightmare to do this as they want engineers reports etc... So it will be fun sorting that out :hehe:
Really? Last time I told them of an engine change (admittedly about 10 years ago) I just changed the details on the V5C and sent it back to them, then they sent me a new document. I didn't change tax bands back then, so maybe that would make a difference. Either way, I'd have thought the saving would be worth it.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Winston

Post by Winston »

I don't think they mind if your staying the same or moving up a bracket and paying them more.. Just when you would end up paying less... I will see how I get on :mafia:

The new turbo turned up last week.. Old on the left, new on the right.. The new turbo is quite abit smaller as you can see but its also much much lighter.

Winston

Post by Winston »

I feel like im getting somewhere now.. The bay is starting to fill up.. Ive just got lots of niggly bits to make up etc

After many hours hunting and messaging on ebay for mesurements, I bagged this Focus ST intercooler for £27 posted and its a perfect fit.. Ive spent most of last weekend sorting out the hoses that I lifted from a Volvo T4 in the scrap yard, no pictures of the pipe work yet.

I sold most my classic alpine collection to fund this early 80's Alpine.. not quite era specific but it will do :vcool:

Winston

Post by Winston »

Well its been a year today since I started this thread and I like to think the cars come along way and it finally feels like Im approaching the end of the tunel. :vcool:

Not many updates though.. Ive plummed in the 5 Turbo FPR, Fitted the fuel pump and ran all the fuel lines through the exhaust tunel to stop them from getting ripped off.. but what about the exhaust running through the tunel?.....The exhaust will be poking out the front like my old 5 GT Turbo

The project has come to abit of stand still due needing a few finishing parts but Ive had a good clearout on ebay to fund the last few bits. I ordered some AVO GTZ coilovers yesterday.. They are such a great company to deal with and they were very helpful.. Ive specced softer poundage springs to suit the lighter 1.3 engine and got 8 & 9" springs over the standard 9 & 10"... My V-maxx coilovers will be up for sale once they are fitted.

I also bought a Ktec side exit which turned up this morning. I will be chopping it up to fit the Rocco. The picture shows a rough Idea of what I plan to do with it. I will probably knotch my front engine mount bracket to keep it up out of harms way, then heat wrap the whole thing to keep bay temperatures down.

Cheers for reading over the past year. :buddy:

G40 Ad

Post by G40 Ad »

hi fella - its Ad I had that oil colloer stuff of you the other day...

Build looks ace need to check this out sometime! Should be nice and shift with that set up - perhaps not as quick as the R5's but will still be good fun and look a fair bit cooler too!!!

Ad

Winston

Post by Winston »

Hello Ad and glad you like it, you hit the nail on the head... Not far off as fast and as fun as the 5's but in a much cooler body. Your welcome to come and have a look, hopefully have it at some local meets in the not to distant future.

PS.. I could do with those cooler bits back tbh :hehe:

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

You taking this to any shows over the summer? Be good to se it in the flesh!

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims