Importing rare Mk1 items.

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Delrocco1
fill in the right answer: 10

Importing rare Mk1 items.

Post by Delrocco1 »

I have just bought a xenon front spoiler, zender rear spoiler and strut brace from a chap in California and have the unenviable task of shipping said items to the U.K.! Does anyone have experience of this and could recommend the best/cheapest courier?

Nate

Re: Importing rare Mk1 items.

Post by Nate »

i have sucessfully had panels sent from the states, couldn't tell you which courier was used though, i left that up to the seller

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

Up to the seller to get your courrier?
Im guessing DHL UPS?

GoKraut

Post by GoKraut »

DHL is OK. They don't do domestic delivery in the US anymore.

UPS is good but very very expensive.

Fed Ex same story as UPS.

USPS (United States Postal Service) best on price for overseas shipments.

If the shipper is asking you for preferred method, I'd honestly choose USPS for cost.
I import things from Germany all the time. Once it clears customs, USPS takes over the delivery (even if it was shipped DHL for instance). Is it like that in the UK? Meaning if I ship something to you DHL or Fed Ex, does the Royal Mail take control once it clears customs?

-Rob

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

GoKraut wrote: Is it like that in the UK? Meaning if I ship something to you DHL or Fed Ex, does the Royal Mail take control once it clears customs?
-Rob
Nope. Multinationals like UPS, DHL, FedEx etc will use their own UK networks to deliver.

if you send by USPS to the UK only then will Royal Mail deliver - either through the normal postal network or by Parcelforce - depending on the size (I think) of the package.

The latter works quite well, for example I posted some fuel lines to the UK yesterday and within a couple of hours the US tracking number was updating on the Parcelforce website!

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I just got some stuff thorugh from the states, it was sent via USPS. I could track it to UK online, and then once here I was sent a letter of collection from the Royal Mail. Picked it up from my local post office - simples!
works pretty well i think.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!