Weak spark probs

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
COVDUBS
fill in the right answer: 10

Weak spark probs

Post by COVDUBS »

Hi all,
My little project GT is coming to an end but has developed an ignition problem. I have a reasonable spark from the coil lead but a really weak spark from the plugs. So far I have changed the dizzy, dizzy cap, leads, rotor arm, plg leads and have even tried a spare coil. Its driving me mad now as this is only a recent problem which has developed on its own without any assistance from me!
Has anyone got any ideas?

1989 PORSCHE 944
1988 BMW E30
1988 VW SCIROCCO GT

If it aint German and from the 80's I don't wanna know
bengould

Re: Weak spark probs

Post by bengould »

Have you set the spark plug gaps? If they are too wide the spark will use more energy to cross the gap and be weaker.

Not sure of correct gap but will be in Haynes somewhere.

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

What about changing the plugs as you haven't mentioned you have done it? Also was the spare coil in good nick?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
COVDUBS

Post by COVDUBS »

I've set the plug gaps to haynes spec but not replaced them, will try and get to halfrauds tommorrow.
As for the coil, got two knocking about from other projects and both in good nick, tested with a multimeter etc.
The spark from the coil isnt too bad but its not the hefty blue spark I'd expect. As for the plug spark its really weak. blasted easy start down the carb and wont even fire with that.
I originally thought it was the hall sender but the change of dizzy killed that idea.
Been trying it for days now and I've run out ideas. :help:

1989 PORSCHE 944
1988 BMW E30
1988 VW SCIROCCO GT

bensspares

Post by bensspares »

if all the above suggestions havent worked, it sounds like the engine isnt sufficiently earthed,check the strap from head to coil and strap from gearbox to body/battery.try a jump lead from the head to the battery negative...this will illiminate any earthing issues.
ben.

If it is not broken, Do not fix it !!!
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Try GSF or ECp for the plugs, much cheaper than Halfords.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
COVDUBS

Post by COVDUBS »

Thanks for the replies. I'm off to get some plugs this morning before work and I'll check the earth straps when I get in tonight.

1989 PORSCHE 944
1988 BMW E30
1988 VW SCIROCCO GT

sciroccodave

Post by sciroccodave »

Sounds like your having exactly the same problem i've just had for weeks! My car was running and then died. I had a good spark from the coil but not so good on the plugs, it would not fire at all, even though there was spark and fuel. I replaced the coil, checked the earth straps etc. It turned out to be the rotor arm had a small burnt out gap in it that I missed somehow. Other than that I can't see what else it might be, sounds like you've checked everything I did on mine. Good luck though!

Dave