Newbie Member

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Ryan
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Newbie Member

Post by Ryan »

Liking this.
Don't see too many black ones. :good:

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

looks sweet. A brave man to lift an unknown mk1 by the floor pan :hugegrin:

Whats the plan for the backbox?

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
*Smelling Damp*

Post by *Smelling Damp* »

Ryan wrote:Liking this.
Don't see too many black ones. :good:
Its a shame , but it was originally brown...it had a pony respray in 2001 i believe, the black is showing the effects of a poor paint job, glass in and everything, engine bay is still brown, same inside the boot.

As for the dodgy lifting i'd been under it when it was on the ramps at the MOT, the only bit of rot was as shown in the rear axle hanger, thank god !

Apart from that she's all good n solid :yup:

hall54

Post by hall54 »

Wish I had a forklift :hugegrin:

'74 TS, '75 TS, '77 GLS, '78 GLS, '80 GLS, T4, Facelift T5, '92 mk2 Golf 'C' LHD
*Smelling Damp*

Heres a quick few pics as i've been crap and not done so, keep loosing my posts, this is my third attempt, keep backspacing between pages and loosing everything i've done.

car on transporter going to my matres garage for cam belt change fit a new fuel pump and generally get her running good, hated starting after being warm.

I've got a nice fresh grille now with chrome surround and badge since this was taken, and some new rims....hated the Fuchs, too shiny and narrow !

Got these rims...

Prepped and painted em !

Built this over the few weeks i did nothing on the real one as it was too cold.

Worked on the stance a bit more !

This was great fun, soo much easier than the real thing.. :beers:

Now back to the real thing

This was after immense amounts of work to get these to fit, they are ET60....lol.
There is some adaption here ....

this is when the engine blew on the way to Telford for UD...this is Shirley Tesco car park were i was dropped off by the so called recover iu have with the bank, its ten mile only...'.Don't say a word'....it wasnt a good day.

This is with a 35mm spacer between the hub and the axle, good high tensile bolts on there :vcool: and a 15mm adapter on the drum.

I saved the 25mm adapters to go on the front, but the driver side adjustble rings were still catching the edge of the tyre, so a set of 35mm were ordered for the front !

I've since put the 25s on the rear for more flushness it looks the nuts, i'll get a pic if it after the weekend.

Any comments welcome good or bad.. :training:

Nick

Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Nice to see it´s alive and kicking :yup:

Personally (since you did want opinions, always a dangerous thing :hugegrin: ) I preferred the Fuchs alloys, don´t like the current ones, as the rim stands out in a ¨funny¨ way. Well, it catches the eye in an unpleasant way.

Hope the engine has been sorted since UD :pilot:

Tempest

My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
Corrado Club of GB Events Manager
*Smelling Damp*

Hi tempest

thanks for comments, yes these rims are wierd, I like how the centres protrude. Wasn't sure whether to paint the rims as well as the centres, if that's what you mean by them hurting your eyes, is it the colour difference ?
There is more lows now so you can't really see the top now as it's tucked in the front
and the rears poke slightly now the 25mm are on instead of the 15s
As for the engine..... No, it's not fixed. A bit disheartned at the mo with it,
been looking for a 16v for it or a 2 ltr 8v from a mk3 gti for keeping the costs down

Sooo... If anyone can help me on the engine search, I'll give em free coffee at edition !!! :buddy:

Nick

RoccoGuy

Post by RoccoGuy »

looked so much better on the fuchs, the new one's don't suit it at all imo

*Smelling Damp*

Cool :hugegrin: Contraverciallity (sp).

Though how it looks on the rims is immaterial at the mo, as its going nowhere at no speed. Come on surely some of you guys can help me source a lump for it ?

:ebay: :dash:

RoccoGuy

Post by RoccoGuy »

if you just want a replacement 8v then the mk1golfoc is a good place for cheap lumps. if you want to go 16v theres normally a few cheap mk2 convertions knocking about on edition, although you'l have to find or make a down pipe for that.

*Smelling Damp*

It originally was gonna be a 16v conv, but had a chat with someone and we were thinking of the 2 ltr 8v from a mk3 gti,
cost will be less, and not much less on the power front.
It's all about cost at the mo as I've other financial commitments for a while.
Tho I got a credit note for those Fuchs as they went back with a fault. So there's a full system from BBT on it's way... :hugegrin:

So, if anyone knows of a Mk3 gti going with a half decent lump in it, give me a shout !

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

Preferred the Fuchs also, looks a little weird on those porkers!

Hope you source a powerplant soon, a stop gap may be an 1800 lump? plentiful and often can get one for free! With a mk3 golf 2ltr you will have to make a spacer between the exhaust manifold and downpipe (i i recall correctly about 20mm) and you will have to hammer a dent or make a small cut out in the raintray to allow some room for the throttle cable to rest correctly at its stop.

Some folks go with the 2ltr TCI/ignition timing box and some folks swap the cog from the bottom of the 2ltr dizzy to the original dizzy to use the original vac system.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
*Smelling Damp*

Cheers for the info Autoad,
i was aware of the Manifold/downpipe spacer, tho not too much of a prob, nice one for the sizing too. I havnt had much time to search for a lump for the last week or so,
its killing me seeing it every morning just sat there not getting used....and with the tax just wasting away, thought i'd sort it quicker than this
:dash:

*Smelling Damp*

At Last, have a powerplant on its way, had a phone call from someone last week. He has a 2.0 8v which has had a rebuild, running a cam and gas flowed head. Even has the manifold spacer too. Everything i need to just bolt in !

Glad i didn't just jump into the first thing i came across, shows that just hangin on that little bit longer is worth the wait !

Here's a pic with the car just pulled out of the unit, as the radiator has just given up the ghost and spewed all the water on the floor..lol !

I've widened the track on the rear a bit more n gonna lower the front another 30mm,and rear another 20mm... as it needs it !