Best bearings for a 9a build ?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MrD
fill in the right answer: 10

Best bearings for a 9a build ?

Post by MrD »

Will be starting to collect the parts for the engine build shortly,can anyone reccomend a good quality make of bearing and piston ring set ? Don`t mind paying decent money,as only want to build it the once.
Will also be getting arp bolts etc,not sure what my plans are for the engine in the future ? Itbs,turbo,charger ? So want the bottom end to cope with it.

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
MikeH

Re: Best bearings for a 9a build ?

Post by MikeH »

Whatever you do, DON'T use the Kolbenschmidt main bearings with the built-in thrust washers. They're engine killers.

If it was me, I'd phone up some reputable engine builders and find out what they use - maybe buy from them. David Knight Engine Services could be worth a call, or maybe you've got one that's more local.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
MrD

Post by MrD »

There is a company called Ivor searle,not too far from me,supposed to be pretty good,all though not used them myself.
Did see David knight,but thought they were onky air cooled people.
Thanks for the info

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

I know of Ivor Searle - Bill Blydenstein used to use them for some of his machining. I think they're a pretty big outfit. No idea what they're like on prices or quality.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!