Running on 3 cylinders, help!

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
walkinginperu
fill in the right answer: 10

Running on 3 cylinders, help!

Post by walkinginperu »

OK so my scirocco is now running on 3 cylinders. Number 3 won't fire at all at idle, but seems to be running on all four when it's revved or while driving. I've changed plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, and turned the engine over with spark plug from number 3 lying on side of head - definitely sparked. But if i remove the ht lead from plug while it's idling it makes no difference to engine speed and therefore no. 3 isn't firing. I'm confused. If 1,2 and 4 are firing they must be getting fuel,so i presume 3 must also be getting some as I have a single weber carb. There seems to be spark on no. 3 too, so i'm very confused. If anyone has had something similar and found what was wrong, or has any ideas i'd be very grateful!
Garage had it last week and said compression test showed 120psi on each cylinder if that helps. :dunno:

scalainj

Re: Running on 3 cylinders, help!

Post by scalainj »

I had something very similar years ago - after many weeks of trying everything an old friend said - change the oil pump

I did and it cured it

Andy

91 Scala
05 Alfa 156 Ti
06 Alfa GT
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

If No 3 has a spark, but doesn't appear to be firing in any worthwhile way, then you've either got no fuel, or no compression. I can't see how you're not getting fuel to No.3 either, and the garage did a compression test. It's possible that they got it wrong, but I'd hope not.

If you take No.3 plug after running the engine, is it wet with fuel?
If you swap the plugs around (I know you just replaced them, but it's worth a try) does the fault move?
Is there maybe a buildup of gunk on the thread that's stopping the plug from earthing to the head (seems highly unlikely to me)
If you turn the engine over on the starter, with No.3 plug removed, can you see a cloud of fuel vapour being pushed out of the plug hole?

EDIT: 120 PSI seems low to me, but my memory isn't 100% on the subject. Have you checked this with the Haynes.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
walkinginperu

Post by walkinginperu »

MikeH wrote:If No 3 has a spark, but doesn't appear to be firing in any worthwhile way, then you've either got no fuel, or no compression. I can't see how you're not getting fuel to No.3 either, and the garage did a compression test. It's possible that they got it wrong, but I'd hope not.

If you take No.3 plug after running the engine, is it wet with fuel?
If you swap the plugs around (I know you just replaced them, but it's worth a try) does the fault move?
Is there maybe a buildup of gunk on the thread that's stopping the plug from earthing to the head (seems highly unlikely to me)
If you turn the engine over on the starter, with No.3 plug removed, can you see a cloud of fuel vapour being pushed out of the plug hole?

EDIT: 120 PSI seems low to me, but my memory isn't 100% on the subject. Have you checked this with the Haynes.
Hi Mike,
I've just swapped plugs and leads from 3 to 4, and no. 3 is still not firing at idle. Because of the fact that it runs on all 4 at high engine speeds, could it maybe be a stuck/worn tappet? They're hydraulic, so at idle they'd get low oil pressure and at higher speeds they'd still open if sticky because of the higher pressure? Does that make sense?

Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

Head gasket?!? ...water in number three cylinder.

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
walkinginperu

Post by walkinginperu »

Jay4424 wrote:Head gasket?!? ...water in number three cylinder.
Could be, but no sign of mayo under the rocker cover, had 120psi on all four cylinders and isn't using any oil or water. Don't know how else I would diagnose it, and don't really want to crack the head bolts if idon't have to. Any other way i can tell if it's definitely h/g?

Brunty

Post by Brunty »

So what does no. 3 plug look like after it's been missing?

Brunty

walkinginperu

Post by walkinginperu »

Brunty wrote:So what does no. 3 plug look like after it's been missing?
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.
Haven't checked plugs after swappping them round to check if that was the problem, and it's now dark. I'll check it out tonight if i can find a torch!

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

I borrowed one of these from one i my dads work mates. Dont know where he got it from but doesnt look too expensive. and he said its really good.

Brunty

Post by Brunty »

dozzum wrote:I borrowed one of these from one i my dads work mates. Dont know where he got it from but doesnt look too expensive. and he said its really good.
A torch?

Brunty

tinkerbel

Post by tinkerbel »

Check it running in the dark, it could be arking somwhere, and in the dark you will be able to see it. good luck. :thankyou:

big nick

Post by big nick »

Brunty wrote:
dozzum wrote:I borrowed one of these from one i my dads work mates. Dont know where he got it from but doesnt look too expensive. and he said its really good.
A torch?

thats what I thought?! :hugegrin:

do I really want a carb'd valver? answers on a postcard...
walkinginperu

Post by walkinginperu »

tinkerbel wrote:Check it running in the dark, it could be arking somwhere, and in the dark you will be able to see it. good luck. :thankyou:
Couldn't find a torch last night so couldn't check the plugs. No arcing in the dark, however.

Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

walkinginperu wrote:
Jay4424 wrote:Head gasket?!? ...water in number three cylinder.
Could be, but no sign of mayo under the rocker cover, had 120psi on all four cylinders and isn't using any oil or water. Don't know how else I would diagnose it, and don't really want to crack the head bolts if idon't have to. Any other way i can tell if it's definitely h/g?

as I said... water... when you remove number three spark after running (on idel, when you think its only on three cylinders), is it wet... is it wet with fuel (should be) or water (shouldn't be!).

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
Nate

Post by Nate »

did they do wet and dry compression tests? have you put a vacuum guage on it? the diagnostic power of the vacuum guage is much ignored!

i'm thinking this may be a valve problem...

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3