Foglights relay

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

Foglights relay

Post by rosie »

My fusebox has had water leaking into it for several months, I've got heaters, dehumidifiers and a hairdryer in the car drying everything out again but I've taken all the relays out and some of them are pretty wet and rusty. I've prised some of them open and left them drying out but a couple of them don't open, and one of them looks beyond hope.
I failed the MOT last week and the only thing I haven't managed to fix yet is that the foglights and the foglight indicator on the dashboard aren't working. I have a feeling that it is the damaged relay. Can anyone confirm which relay does the foglights please, I think it is number 15 (sits in position number 7- bottom row left hand side)?
The one to the right of this (position number 8) currently has relay number 18 in it, but turned upside down. The haynes manual says this is the 'X contact relief relay' which means nothing to me. Should I have a different relay in it? I'm not sure if it has been bodged as it is the wrong way up.
Does anyone have a spare foglights relay I could buy please- assuming it is the one I think. Got to get the retest by this Friday so time is of the essence.
Hope someone can help- I'd be lost without this forum.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
Tim_R

Re: Foglights relay

Post by Tim_R »

Haynes comic book says that it is relay number 7, bottom left for foglights. I'll have a look to double check on mine tomorrow. I may also have a spare relay, but not sure about that.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thanks Tim, i found what I think is the right relay on ebay- but I don't want to get the wrong one, so I'd really appreciate a second opinion.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Pretty sure i'll have the relay if you can let me know the BIG No.?

Danny
rosie

Post by rosie »

I think the foglights relay is number 15, I also want to replace the number 1 and 18 relays, as they were full of rusty water too. If you can help with any or all of those then that would be great.
Thanks

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Fog lamp relay is indeed the one labeled number 15. As long as you get a 4 pin relay that is rated at 16 amps or more you'll be fine. I can't find any of my spares at the moment so can't help you, unless I'm going past my local scrappy in the next couple of days.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
rosie

Post by rosie »

Hi Tim, Thanks for looking for me. I've bought a 15 from ebay, so hoping that will solve all my problems.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Hi Rosie

had a look for these today and can't seem to find any of these :blush:

sure i've got them somewhere :ire:

Danny
Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

Rosie, if your still looking, I'm sure I've got a complete set somewhere from a decised rocco.

Jay.

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400