Running 15's and coilies.. some problems

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Thainoodle
fill in the right answer: 10

Running 15's and coilies.. some problems

Post by Thainoodle »

Hi, finally got the gtx on the road after a long and painful mot! Great to be using it, but having a few issues:

I have 'borrowed' the wheels off the polo until I get my borbet situation sorted, they are 15" OZ superleggas but I have had to space the front out as they were hitting the spring on the coilovers. Bit of a pain, I've used 10mm spacers which throw the wheels out a bit too much for my liking. I may try some 5mm ones once I've had a look under the car to check for clearance. I think the wheels are et35, they were on my old scirocco but that had standard type shocks fitted.

Does anyone else using coilovers have any issues with theirs?

Thanks
Paul

Brunty

Re: Running 15's and coilies.. some problems

Post by Brunty »

I've never had any problems with the front even with higher offset wheels. I found that there was a bit more clearance with the adjustable coilovers in fact.

Brunty

Thainoodle

Post by Thainoodle »

Odd, well I have managed to get the wheels on without spacers now but there is about 3mm gap between the tyre and spring adjuster.

Handles better and the wheels aint hitting the arches now :)

Brunty

Post by Brunty »

That's ok then, it's not as if you need much clearance...

Brunty

scirocogtx

Post by scirocogtx »

I have gone through a similar instance with fitting 15s and coilovers. I wanted a low look, not quite slammed but I simply couldn't achieve it.

I first had trouble with clearance between tyre and adjuster on my front wheels. I had to adjust height of ride, back to about original, and camber to allow about 3-5mm between the two. I didn't feel happy with this.
I then fitted 5mm spacers and readjusted camber but again I didn't feel happy with about 3-5mm clearance between strut and tyre. So i bit the bullet and ordered from a nice gentleman on Ebay, some 20mm customised hubcentric spacers for the 15s.
I now have plenty clearance between wheel and coilovers but I have had to raise them again as the wheels rub against the arches on bumps. I now have to get my camber professionally adjusted to save on bushes etc.

So, all in all, I have spent a lot of time and money in trying to mod the already good Mk2 suspension with no real benefit.

I recommend replacing your old suspension with new 'un-modded' suspension ie new original springs and maybe upgrading to gas shocks.

1986 Monza Gtx
1989 Scala
The Interceptor

Post by The Interceptor »

Or just buy good quality coil overs in the first place and get them set up well!

MK 3. Deep black pearl 170 GT TDi, (anthracite) vienna leather, parking sensors, premium mats.
MK 2. Pearl grey metallic 1.8 GT (project car)

and a big smile........
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

I run wide wheels and the car is pretty slammed. Remove the poo shields from the front, roll the arches on the rear. I can corner incredibly and there's no rubbage. Set it up properly and there's no problem, stock suspension just can't compare.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
scirocogtx

Post by scirocogtx »

The Interceptor wrote:Or just buy good quality coil overs in the first place and get them set up well!
...and remove half your car and then they'll be ok.

1986 Monza Gtx
1989 Scala
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

unfortunately if you want to do something you have to do it properly. Do a half arsed job and encounter problems or do it properly and be happy with the result.
The poo shields at the front are a five minute job and the rear arches can be done by any good body shop, as long as everything gets sealed up you wont have any problems.
For the record the best estimates are that mine's lowered by around 90mm running 215 tyres on the rears with about 1.5cm gap between the wheel and the arch. I paid the money and got an excellent set of coileys so I wouldn't shatter every bone in my fragile body at the first pot hole. Ride is smooth, it corners like nothing I've ever driven and, quite honestly, looks great.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Mr Funk wrote:unfortunately if you want to do something you have to do it properly.

suspension mods defined.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
scirocogtx

Post by scirocogtx »

Unfortunately I don't understand what doing it 'properly' means..
What you probably mean is that you will have to adjust a lot of things and spend a lot of time and money, to get a decent setup.
I was under the impression that companies designed the suspension to fit specific cars thus saving the consumer time and providing an easy upgrade. Obviously I was wrong.

The whole point of this is to highlight the fact that I personally do not recommend upgrading unless of course you want to spend a lot of your hard earned which may or may not provide you with what you want. I've forked out well over £1000 to get a setup that I don't particularly like.

p.s. when you tell your insurance about your new suspension expect a shock..

1986 Monza Gtx
1989 Scala
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

I'm not entirely sure what side of the bed you got out of this morning but perhaps grab yourself a can of Fanta, sit yourself down and have a chat with yourself.
Okay so you aren't impressed with your set up but these things happen. Plenty of people pay a lot less and get exactly what they want.

As for the insinutation that perhaps I've not told the insurance company about the work I've done to the car I'm pretty insulted. I've been playing with cars for nearly two decades and I've been lucky enough to run some stonkers. As yo can see in the project thread I keep a pretty detailed diary of exactly what I do to the car and everything, even down to the new door handles and flexi cables, is shared with the insurance company. Why on earth would I spend all that hard earned time and money on something only to then blame myself if the worst happens?
The end result is a limited mileage fully comp policy that comes in at a smidgen under £300.

Now, if you've finished having a pop at things perhaps we can get back to the topic?

*edit* Just out of interest chap I'm genuinely quite interested in what set up you had if it was that bad?

scirocogtx

Post by scirocogtx »

I apologize if you thought I was suggesting that you were not properly insured etc etc.
I was pointing out that If anybody else was considering a change of suspension that when they tell their insurance they may have to change their company or pay a significant increase for their mod. I wasn't expecting my 'high street' insurance company to almost double my premium for a small mod, with me having 9+ no claims etc..
In the end I changed to classic insurance.

1986 Monza Gtx
1989 Scala
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

You guys are terrible! Coilies 95% of the way down, 20mm hubcentric spacer, cambered all the way in, clears everything, steering is nice and light, sticks to the road like shit to a blanket and feels great!

2k Painter and Powdercoater