Electric windows

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

Electric windows

Post by rosie »

Hi, I'm trying to replace my electric window system as they've been stuck shut for the last year. I've got a complete set of replacement parts taken out of another scirocco so i was hoping to just swap them over. My lovely Haynes manual says I need to open the windows in order to remove the lifting mechanism etc but doesn't explain how to open them if they're not working. Please does anyone know how to manually get them open?
I'm not very technical, being a girl and all that, so please dumb it down for me.
Hope someone can help
Thanks

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
wasted

Re: Electric windows

Post by wasted »

You should be able to unbolt the lifting mech from the bottom of the window without lowering the glass - might be a bit fiddly, but just give it a shot :)

'89 Scala 1.8i - Daily drive, Work in progress!
rosie

Post by rosie »

Ok, thanks i'll give it a go.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
rosie

Post by rosie »

The saga of my electric windows continues- got them working perfectly with the original parts after cleaning up all the contacts (with a bit of help from my father-in-law.) They worked for two days consistently, then would only work once when I first started the engine, so I could open them one day and close them the next, but no more than that. Please does anyone know why this would happen? It was almost as if they could find enough power to work once, but then needed to recharge in some way before they'd work again. Could this be to do with the relays? And does anyone know what relay I would need to replace/test. I'm completely mystified. They've completely stopped working again now- but it was amazing for those two glorious summer days.
Thanks for reading this- really hope someone can help.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

If they are original fitment electric windows (switches mounted in the doorcards is a good indicator), there should be a relay and thermal fuse clipped in separate holders on the top of the fusebox. The thermal fuse is a small sliver metal rectangle which "blows" when it gets too hot and resets when it cools down enough. The window relay should be next to it.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thanks Tim, that sounds worth investigating. As soon as it stops raining I'll have a look. Thank you

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton