Mark 2 sunroof seal

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

Mark 2 sunroof seal

Post by rosie »

Hi, please can anyone help? I've got a 1991 GTII with a tilting sunroof that has been leaking since I bought the car a year ago. I've been looking for a replacement seal but no one seems to know what type I should get. The sunroof is a plain piece of glass which has nothing around the edge. The only seal at present is in the roof recess and the glass sits on top of this. There is a metal trim around the hole in the roof, which is visible from the outside. Should there be an additional seal which fits around the outside of the glass? I've read parts descriptions on ebay etc that suggest there should be a seal visible from outside when the roof is closed. The seal I've been considering getting is part 321877209A- which is a one size fits all for Golf etc- and fairly expensive. Does anyone have any words of wisdom please so I can have dry seats and a gaffer tape-free roof?
Thanks, Rosie

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
Tim_R

Re: Mark 2 sunroof seal

Post by Tim_R »

If its a plain glass roof then it was an aftermarket part, not factory fit. I would imagine there is a rubber seal that the glass sits on that is part of the metal surround? I think some people have used vaseline on old seals to help get more life out of them, not sure how well it works though. I'd imagine that the roof would be a Britax one, a lot were at the time, so you might find something when looking for spares with that name.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Dr. Dub
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Dr. Dub »

Quite often on that type of roof, they leak between the metal frame and the original roof skin. My old Polo used to do that. I eneded up taking it out and re-sealing it.

Currently without a car (long story)
Previous rides. 2x 89 Scirocco GTs & 84 Storm
RevDarkman

Post by RevDarkman »

Actually, mine is leaking but is definitely from between the glass and the seal, I think the lugs on the glass that sit in the slot have lost their 'bounce' I'm going to try the vaseline trick on the seals, and also in the holes and lugs so that they hopefully slip into place better

ImageImage
1991 Scirocco GT Auto (Sold) 1990 Scirocco GT II Helios (Sold)
chadwick

Post by chadwick »

I had the same problem. My sunroof is a britax. There should be a code number written somewhere on the actual glass. I googled it and came up with a shop online selling replacement seals (can't remember the company though :blush: ).

I sent them the old seal, and they matched it up. Utter bugger to fit, and the damn thing started leaking a bit again yesterday...

walkinginperu

Post by walkinginperu »

I had the same problem, but the vaseline trick worked a treat, tight as a drum now! You just clean the rubber off with some soapy water and an old toothbrush, then dry it off and rub some vaseline into the rubber. It makes it swell up and become more flexible, stopping any leaks. Don't apply it in the summer though - warm vaseline dripping on me from above was not pleasant. :blush:

Nate

Post by Nate »

walkinginperu wrote:warm vaseline dripping on me from above was not pleasant. :blush:
you probably put too much of it on ;)

when i first suggested this on here people thought i was mad :hugegrin:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
walkinginperu

Post by walkinginperu »

Yeah I think I went a bit overboard. Everything in moderation!

captquo

Post by captquo »

I had a Britax sunroof which leaked. I got a replacement Webasto fitted at the Bristol Sunroof Centre which I am pleased with. I think they also stock parts for old sunroofs or at least may be able to find them

1986 GT S