overheating... new rad needed?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
YEAH
fill in the right answer: 10

overheating... new rad needed?

Post by YEAH »

so i finally got my rocco' back and running on the road again after sticking dual dellorto 40's on it. it had taken me ages to get it together again due to a serious lack of money and spare time/ bad weather.

on the way to edition 38 it overheated (as in boiled over out of the water tank) and i had to pull over in a lay-by. after a rest and a filling back up with water and antifreeze it was ok. if still a tad too warm.

now, because i have changed the carbs will i need a bigger rad' to cope with the extra heat

and if so, what would be a good replacement ?

oh and cooling fan too?

thanks!

twin dellorto 40's
black sebring's
stripped rear
walkinginperu

Re: overheating... new rad needed?

Post by walkinginperu »

Are the carbs set up properly? If it's running lean (not enough fuel/too much air) then it'll run hot. Just a thought.

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Neuspeed sell an uprated thermostat and fan switch, may be worth getting them. Available from Awesome GTI.

Get the 90s Diesel Passat twin fan rad, its what people who do 20v conversions use more often-than-not. Think its the largest stock VW rad? :dunno:

Also, where the hell have you been? I wanted to see your engine at Cosford :crying:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
YEAH

Post by YEAH »

Risocco wrote:
Also, where the hell have you been? I wanted to see your engine at Cosford :crying:

Alex
where have i been?

pretty much in a deep, black pit of dispair....

no money, no internet, etc...

combined with having to get a replacement head for my golf, fitting it and getting it running (on a tiiiiiiight budget)

i was really gutted not to be able to get to cosford :(

but besides that things are looking better again, well, ish.

as a response to the main article however, il be looking into getting a larger fan and rad then

oh and also the carbs are running a bit iffy, they dont drop the rev's quickly enough. i was told by a friends dad to take them to a guy in winchester (tom airey???) and he'd be able to find out where im going wrong.

there's a little teaser for you alex(or anyone else interested) :hugegrin:

twin dellorto 40's
black sebring's
stripped rear
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Could do with a clean.... :whistle: :yup:

Looks awesome tho, credit to your hard work. Good luck with getting it set up dude, when its running right let me know so I can pinch the engine yeah?

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
YEAH

Post by YEAH »

cleaning, paah! :wakey:

twin dellorto 40's
black sebring's
stripped rear