Flooded engine - issues ever since

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Simonpiemon
fill in the right answer: 15

Flooded engine - issues ever since

Post by Simonpiemon »

So I may of pressed a few too many times on the gas pedal the other day when starting up my rocco. I'd been having issues with the Carb which I've just replaced with a Weber 32/34. This solved all my issues and the cars been running a dream.

However since accidentally flooding the engine (assuming that's what I did) I've had a real nightmare getting it to start. I've checked the leads, vacuum hoses and ended up replacing the spark plugs this morning in hopes it would solve it but no joy. If I Crank the engine for quite a while it will start but it idles very rough and pressing quickly on the accelerator stalls it. There's also a very strong smell of petrol when I am attempting to start it.

Is there anything else obvious I could check? Like I say it does eventually fire up but it takes a lot. I also find I need to leave the choke closed for it to maintain a decent rpm.

I want to avoid starting to strip down the Carb as its brand new unless that's somehow damaged.

Any help would be much appreciated

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Flooded engine - issues ever since

Post by james butler »

check the rubber adapter plate hasnt split

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Simonpiemon

Post by Simonpiemon »

Cheers! Just had it off there is indeed a split which runs around the edge. I'll replace and see how I get on. Just out of curiosity how did you know it would be the source of the issue? Is it allowing too much air into the engine? Thanks Simon

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes if it’s split to much air gets in and if someone try’s to fix the problem with making the fuel mixture richer that won’t help.

If you get the engine running and wobble the carb if the engine speed changes there’s a problem.

Are you using the original air box? make sure the fixing on the front is attached to the rocker cover bracket.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Any black specs in your fuel filter?

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
essextom

Post by essextom »

i never used the choke on my 32/34 conversion as it always flooded it. i found a couple of pumps of pedal before starting used to be enough.

james butler

Post by james butler »

Simonpiemon wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:58 pm Cheers! Just had it off there is indeed a split which runs around the edge. I'll replace and see how I get on. Just out of curiosity how did you know it would be the source of the issue? Is it allowing too much air into the engine? Thanks Simon
these engines and that carb are the simplest you may come across and nearly everytime there is an issue like you described its usually the flange
get a new one on and see how it goes :pilot:

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

james butler wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:25 pm
Simonpiemon wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:58 pm Cheers! Just had it off there is indeed a split which runs around the edge. I'll replace and see how I get on. Just out of curiosity how did you know it would be the source of the issue? Is it allowing too much air into the engine? Thanks Simon
these engines and that carb are the simplest you may come across and nearly everytime there is an issue like you described its usually the flange
get a new one on and see how it goes :pilot:
Or rust in the fuel... been there, seen it, changed the fuel lines, my newly fitted Webber couldn't cope either with rusty fuel. Refurbed the original Pierburg and re-fitted it.

Runs perfect now. 30 more horsepowers, auto choke back, and fuel economy up from 16 MPG to c. 35 MPG, oh yes, and no more rough starts or black muck sneezed out of the exhaust on start up.

Sorry Simon, I do get why you're trying the Webber. Come back to me when you get fed up with it.

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Evening Simon, gents, this may seem like the antichrist of websites to those that advocate Webber over Pierburg, but trust me, it's the way forward...

https://sites.google.com/site/pierburgc ... rburettors

essextom

Post by essextom »

RussGLAuto wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:13 pm Evening Simon, gents, this may seem like the antichrist of websites to those that advocate Webber over Pierburg, but trust me, it's the way forward...

£435 for a rebuild!!! thats the reason as you can get a whole new weber setup for £350.

Simonpiemon

Post by Simonpiemon »

Thanks for all the feedback! I replaced the original flange and it certainly runs a lot better when warm! No more stalling when I open the choke! It still seems pretty hard to start however?! And when it does start the revs are pretty low. What bugs me is it was running totally spot on up until recently.. Any other basic checks or anything obvious I've missed? I feel like if the fuel lines were the issue the new weber would never of run right but it was spot on when I fitted it.

I have a small leak near the fuse box wonder if a corroded relay could be to blame? There's one which is numbered 61 and I've spent ages online trying to work out what it's for but nothing. Any ideas anyone? It's got a board inside so technically not a relay 😅

Thanks

Simon

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Relay 61 is the control unit for the over-run cut-off solenoid on the Pierburg carburettor - a device which cuts the fuel supply to the carb when the car is slowing down. This is probably not relevant to you as I don't think the Weber is equipped with this fuel-saving device.
Last edited by GT_II on Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

essextom wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:57 am
RussGLAuto wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:13 pm Evening Simon, gents, this may seem like the antichrist of websites to those that advocate Webber over Pierburg, but trust me, it's the way forward...

£435 for a rebuild!!! thats the reason as you can get a whole new weber setup for £350.
Only get what you pay for Tom....

james butler

Post by james butler »

RussGLAuto wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:54 pm
essextom wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:57 am

Only get what you pay for Tom....
hmmm
the peirburg maybe a superior carb in its capabilities ie auto choke and vacuum operation secondary throttle but for comparable affordability and performance you dont loose much if anything with a properly setup and fettled Webber for a lot less money
as tom says a new carb is £350

james butler

Post by james butler »

Simonpiemon wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:19 pm Thanks for all the feedback! I replaced the original flange and it certainly runs a lot better when warm! No more stalling when I open the choke! It still seems pretty hard to start however?! And when it does start the revs are pretty low. What bugs me is it was running totally spot on up until recently.. Any other basic checks or anything obvious I've missed? I feel like if the fuel lines were the issue the new weber would never of run right but it was spot on when I fitted it.

I have a small leak near the fuse box wonder if a corroded relay could be to blame? There's one which is numbered 61 and I've spent ages online trying to work out what it's for but nothing. Any ideas anyone? It's got a board inside so technically not a relay 😅

Thanks

Simon
double check all your basics especially vaccum leaks
check the vacuum pipe to servo as its a favorite to split and cause bad idle etc
after that i would be pulling jets one at a time and cleaning incase of any debris