painting mk2 gtx body kit

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Ryangtx
fill in the right answer: 15

painting mk2 gtx body kit

Post by Ryangtx »

Im putting my scirocco gtx in for paint soon and I'm going to keep the kit black and body red I'm just wondering if anyone has painted there's? Its seems a strange type of plastic I'm just wondering if anyone has had issues after its painted.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: painting mk2 gtx body kit

Post by james butler »

tends to be the flexing of the bodykit and adhesion to the plastic that stumps most people
if not done right it soon peels/flakes off

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Ryangtx

Post by Ryangtx »

That's my worry, it's getting a respray and the black body kit has a few Mark's just looking tired. I want the kit to look as good as the car, the lad spraying it seems to think it will be fine but with the flexing it will crack I would think and look terrible

james butler

Post by james butler »

the only other problem you might have is that natural black trim will have been back to blacked or the like and this if not properly cleaned off etc wreaks havoc with fresh paint
it may be worth getting hold of a painted kit and rubbing that back to paint it, at least then it will have a good known surface to stick to?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Ryangtx

Post by Ryangtx »

I thought that I mentioned it to the paint sprayer he said it will be cleaned properly and keyed with a few cots of correct primer he said they will be fine[emoji1696]

essextom

Post by essextom »

ive just painted my kit.

its fine as long as they use a decent plastic primer, the parts are flexible off the car but once screwed and bonded on they wont flex, so i wouldnt worry about that too much.

the non painted oe kits arent textured so i wouldnt worry about anything used on them before, the paint shop are the ones who would need to worry about that and im sure they wont release a car with loads of silicon spots in the paint.

i do have a number of pre painted kit parts if you need any.

Ryangtx

Post by Ryangtx »

Cheers for that. I dropped the car off yesterday and he assured me it will be fine. I've seen his work he is a very good painter I can't wait to see it when it's done it should look great

essextom

Post by essextom »

yeah a bodyshop wont have any issues.

Ryangtx

Post by Ryangtx »

I have confidence in what he has told me.
Did you remove your front inner wheel arches? I might be putting 7x15 et38 wheels on not sure if them plastic tubs cause an issue

essextom

Post by essextom »

not on this one but have removed them on my other car without issues, just need to make sure you wash up in arches to remove any build up of mud.

Ryangtx

Post by Ryangtx »

Ok thanks for the info much appreciated