Genuine Mk2 exhaust sections

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
jon525
fill in the right answer: 15

Genuine Mk2 exhaust sections

Post by jon525 »

Hi All

My Scala is in need of a new centre silencer section, I prefer a standard section and struggling to find one, anyone on here know's where to source one please?. It's a 1990 DX engine.

Thanks

Jon

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Genuine Mk2 exhaust sections

Post by mark1gls »

The Mk1 Golf cabriolet uses the same centre section exhaust as the Mk2 Scirocco, it's only the back box that's different.

I brought one of these for my Mk1 golf cabriolet and needed to cut off the end hangers on this exhaust to fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274778271307 ... SwAntgiqJU

Or one here that may not have the end hangers?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294003501338 ... 8045808444

Or Euro car parts, £65 ish with discount code.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/klarius- ... -704440401

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
jon525

Post by jon525 »

Thanks mark1gls

I have a Klarius one from euro and it looks terrible but sure it will fit but I want a VAG one even if its more than twice the price.

Thank you again for the reply

Jon

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I'm not sure you will be able to buy a Genuine VW one any more as the newest Mk2 Scirocco is 29 years old now...

Membership No. 323
RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Hi Jon,

With you on the originality front. I had cause to replace my rear silencer last year and got one from ze Germans website. It was NOS and even has 'Made in WEST Germany stamped on it! Here's a link to the exhaust section of their website, some parts are slightly eye watering, but the price you pay for OEM:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de ... e.html?p=1

Enjoy! :ebay:

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
jon525

Post by jon525 »

Thanks RussGLAuto

I have looked there and I think they were the suppliers of VW heritage?. The reason I am more focused on a VAG part is the one it's replacing is the original part 31 yrs later and that tell's you a lot so the price within reason is not an issue. Having said that I understand its not the best selling car and genuine parts are rare so an acceptable alternative will work as long as it kind of looks like a genuine one unlike the klarius one!!.

Cheers Jon

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Part numbers for 1984 on Sciroccos are here:

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 253-73010/

According to this list, the part number of the front box for the DX engine is 533253209F

Sadly, it seems this is no longer available from VW Classic Parts.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
essextom

Post by essextom »

i very much doubt VW built exhausts in house, were probably made by an external company. if you can find out who then you could possibly still get one form them. woiuld be branded differently but as oem as i expect you'll be able to find.

essextom

Post by essextom »

ignore the above. these are still available from VW, postage might be a bit steep but heres the link to the page-

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de ... nlage.html

jon525

Post by jon525 »

Thanks everyone here for the replies, I had already looked at classic parts.de and seen the part was not listed, however I dropped them an enquiry just to see if more would become available but unfortunately not!!. So my next question has anyone fitted one that vaguely resembles a genuine one?. The Klarius one currently here looks terrible, the centre silencer looks like the old "cherry bomb" exhaust from way back although not red!!.

Thanks again all

Jon

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Does this item on ebay.de look correct?:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/382750292223

This is IMASAF part number 72.52.06, listed by a different German seller on ebay uk as equivalent to 533253209F

I'm guessing this may come close to OEM quality - IMASAF claim to be OEM suppliers to VW. The IMASAF website refers to 2mm thick endplates, aluminium coating inside and out, exactly the kind of features VAG promoted for their long life original VW exhausts back in the day.

jon525

Post by jon525 »

That looks perfect GT II but I cannot seem to translate to English to buy and the item number doesn't exist on UK ebay,any ideas?.

Cheers

Jon

DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Danny
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

jon525 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:59 pm That looks perfect GT II but I cannot seem to translate to English to buy and the item number doesn't exist on UK ebay,any ideas?.
That ebay seller doesn't export to GB, but another German ebay seller seems happy to - item no 163621236210 on ebay UK should be the same item. Post-Brexit, be prepared for a bill of 20% VAT on top plus a customs processing charge of £12-£15 from the courier before (or occasionally after) delivery.

Google translate is your friend!

Features highlighted in the ebay.de listing are Italian made, custom fit & ready to install, "e" marked, so German MOT friendly.

Other blurb says: Top quality at a very good price-performance ratio! Very high resistance to corrosion caused by exhaust fumes and weathering due to aluminium and silicon alloys of at least 120g/m². Very good absorption of loads through reinforcements on flexible connections. Use of the best raw materials (steel from ThyssenKrupp). Silencer pot lids are at least 2mm thick - more than most other manufacturers use. The exact fit avoids unnecessarily high workshop installation costs, which can also be incurred with many cheap products, as these often have to be reworked. You may find a cheaper exhaust than this on eBay, but if you consider fit and durability, you will definitely have more fun with this IMASAF exhaust, because what good is a cheap purchase if the product has to be replaced after a short time! New goods in OEM quality. Branded goods from the EU. Ready to install, no welding required. Original fit: remove old exhaust, screw in new exhaust - done!