Rear Wiper Delete

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
h11poc
fill in the right answer: 15

Rear Wiper Delete

Post by h11poc »

Hi All, I have noticed my Scirocco has no rear wiper. There is a rubber bung (VW one) in the round hole in the glass. I do have the rear wiper relay installed so I wonder if this was an option on a car or whether a PO had removed the wiper.

Also I noticed two strange wires in behind the fusebox which weren't connected to anything but because they were different colour codes I didnt join them up :-) I suspect something to do with the radio ?? I'm just unsure.

Pictures below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

h11poc

Re: Rear Wiper Delete

Post by h11poc »

Sorry - the wires are blue/white and yellow/green

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

As you will know, the GT II was a run out model fitted with many "extras" that might have been considered luxuries in earlier years, such as height adjustable sports seats, deep pile carpet, fabric covered door cards, "sports" steering wheel, leather gear knob, 4 speaker radio prep, colour coded bodykit and mirrors, front fogs and large rear spoiler. Basically a late Scala, but without alloys or injection. Rear wash/wipe was definitely part of the standard specification.

Those wire colours are not part of the original radio harness. I'll have a look at the wiring diagram over the weekend, unless someone else can identify the wires before then.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

People remove the rear wiper for two reasons. Either they think the car looks better without it or it has stopped working because of a common problem with the motor jamming internally and then burning out. If you’re reinstating it be aware VW changed the spindle from 10mm (up to late ‘80s) to 13mm on later cars. You will need to ensure all the parts you get are consistent. It doesn’t really matter whether you use the earlier or later set up. You just cannot mix the two.

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Thank you Wreck for that. I will be careful and only get a complete system from a particular car rather than parts. Appreciate the advice .

Its just those two wires by the fusebox now. Could they be for the electric Arial ?? Mine is broken so I don't know if it was or not.

If I can get the interior lights working and the horn (relay clicks when I press hor when ignition on ) then I think i can run it down for the MOT.
All help appreciated

Paul

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

I don’t know what those wires are. They may be for optional equipment. If you have an electric aerial I think they had blue and green wires. Power on both raises the aerial, power on one lowers it.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

According to the post-1985 wiring diagram in the Scirocco Mk2 Haynes manual the only wires in these colours are:

Blue/White: Relay/Fuse board terminal A28 (from fuse No 9 (for main beam headlight, right) to instrument terminal T7 (main beam warning lamp)
Green/Yellow No1: Relay/Fuse board terminal D9 (from terminal A5) to front wiper motor terminal 53b
Green/Yellow No2: Relay/Fuse board terminal A5 (from terminal D9) to wiper switch terminal 53b

My guess is there may have been some repurposing of wires in the past to bypass a fault.

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Hi GT_II I got them the wrong way round. its White/Blue and Yellow/Green which I guess makes a difference.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

None specified in that colour order - doubt the order make any difference.

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

GT_II wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:36 am None specified in that colour order - doubt the order make any difference.
It actually could be yellow/grey .. my eyesight is dreadful. I have noticed the white/blue goes to where the stereo would be. And it definitely has a factory plug at the end by the fusebox.

Maybe the yellow/grey(or green) is from where the PO removed the rear wiping system.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Grey/yellow is the power feed to foglight switch.

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

GT_II wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:00 pm Grey/yellow is the power feed to foglight switch.
Ah thank you...

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

h11poc wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:40 pm Its just those two wires by the fusebox now. Could they be for the electric Arial ?? Mine is broken so I don't know if it was or not.
If it’s any help, when I fitted my stereo there was a rat’s nest of butchered wires behind the one I took out. I wrote down the following. I’ve excluded the speaker wires as too off-topic.

Red = Permanent live
Brown = Earth
Black = Switched live (this was non-original and taken by a previous owner from the blower switch)
Blue/Grey = Illumination

Those four above I wired to my new ISO connector. The following ones I left not connected and was never entirely certain of their original purpose, despite extensive research at the time.

Blue/White
Green
Red/Brown
Yellow/White

I have seen Internet posts on Scirocco and Golf forums variously say that Blue/White and Yellow/White are for the powered aerial. However, this old post provides fairly conclusive evidence the electric aerial is, in fact, the green wire. To be clear, that needs a 12V output from the stereo to tell the aerial it’s switched on/off and make the aerial rise/lower. It goes to pin A5 on your ISO connector, probably blue if yours came with a tail already fitted.

https://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vi ... hp?t=15591

Elsewhere, I have seen reference to Yellow/White being the speed signal for speed-variable volume. If that’s true it would go to pin A1. I have seen someone refer to Blue/White as a “dimmer” circuit but I doubt that’s true and probably a confusion with the Blue/Grey illumination circuit. IMHO Blue/White is most likely provided for a remote amplifier nudge and so it would make sense for it to be left n/c somewhere that an amplifier could be readily installed. If I’m right it would also connect to pin A5 (along with the green wire) at the radio if in use. That leaves the red/brown wire about which I haven’t got a clue. Just revisiting the mystery tonight I found this on a Mk1 Golf site which suggests it could be a key-in-ignition switched live.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... reo-wiring

If so, that would have been a more elegant solution than the “blower switch” switched live in mine but I didn’t bother to investigate because I already had the latter.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

WreckTangle wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:37 am
Elsewhere, I have seen reference to Yellow/White being the speed signal for speed-variable volume. If that’s true it would go to pin A1. I have seen someone refer to Blue/White as a “dimmer” circuit but I doubt that’s true and probably a confusion with the Blue/Grey illumination circuit. IMHO Blue/White is most likely provided for a remote amplifier nudge and so it would make sense for it to be left n/c somewhere that an amplifier could be readily installed. If I’m right it would also connect to pin A5 (along with the green wire) at the radio if in use. That leaves the red/brown wire about which I haven’t got a clue. Just revisiting the mystery tonight I found this on a Mk1 Golf site which suggests it could be a key-in-ignition switched live.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... reo-wiring

If so, that would have been a more elegant solution than the “blower switch” switched live in mine but I didn’t bother to investigate because I already had the latter.
Just to confirm, at least from the 1988 model year, switched live for the radio is red/brown and and yellow/white is the vehicle speed signal (GALA), as used by the VW Gamma 2, 3 and 4 radios:

https://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vi ... io#p157192

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

GT_II wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:04 am Just to confirm, at least from the 1988 model year, switched live for the radio is red/brown
Thanks. I suppose it is funny in a way that a previous owner of my 1991 GT2 went to the trouble of dismantling the centre console in order to scotch lock a switched live into the blower circuit when there was a factory switched live there all along. Unfortunately, that is not untypical of the sort of “improvements” the 15 previous owners of my car effected.