New here, but not to Sciroccos, looking for another...

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
jondavy
fill in the right answer: 15

New here, but not to Sciroccos, looking for another...

Post by jondavy »

Hi guys,

I had a black 92 plate GT2 for a number of years (about 18 years ago!), most unreliable car I ever owned, and now I fancy getting another one!

Found this one on Ebay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144015828188 and am waiting for some pics of the rear suspension areas.
MOT isn't pretty but could be an overzealous tester hence waiting for some pics of those areas
Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Offside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage attachment bracket/mounting fractured (5.3.3 (b) (ii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))
Battery insecure and likely to cause a short circuit (4.13 (a) (ii))
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength subframe mount area (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength subframe mount area (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside Steering locking device missing track rod end (2.1.3 (d))
Nearside Front Lower Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength suspension arm mount area (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Offside Obligatory mirror slightly damaged (3.3 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Brake hose slightly damaged (1.1.12 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Rear Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
fuel tank corroded, evidence of fuel seepage but not currently leaking Dangerous
Nearside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
Offside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
rear fuel pipe corroded
Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Offside Rear Upper Macpherson strut mounting corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Offside Front Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

Don't really want to do a full strip and rebuild but I'm not afraid of a bit of welding, just depends on how much actually needs doing.
Also it's not on the doorstep so difficult to pop over and have a look at it :(

Anyone on here got anything coming up for sale at under 2K?

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: New here, but not to Sciroccos, looking for another...

Post by essextom »

thats a fair bit of work. its pretty much a full underside rebuild/ refurb. theres a silver 16v on ebay at the moment that looks pretty good for the money, will need work to get back on the road but a decent starting place.

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

The rear subframe mounts are not an easy job, a fairly common area for corrosion in my experience. To repair they need a new mounting point/bodywork strengthening section welding in. As this has the bolts to carry the rear sub frame it needs to be located accurately for the car to be straight when finished.
Personally, I'd stay well clear, but it's an area to check on any Scirocco/Golf/Jetta of similar age and keep a check on regularly.

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Just looked at the posting.
"No major issues"! I wouldn't like to see what the advertiser's view of a major issue is!
Also very expensive for a car in such poor condition.

jondavy
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by jondavy »

Thanks guys, got the photos this morning and I'm going to give this one a miss, at least one third of the sill is going to need cutting out along with probably a good amount of the rear arch, the rear subframe mounts don't look too bad but I think they would also have to go once the cutting started. Looks like it was bought as a project but they didn't realise how bad it was, shame as the mileage was low.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

£2450 is a lot of money for a car with no MOT and lots of work needed to get it on the road.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323