Introduce yourself

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
Brian68
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Brian68 »

20201127_184319.jpg
Here's a picture, as you may be able to see it's a bit challenged in the bodywork dept. The previous owner had put on new suspension, fuel tank, filler neck,brake lines,fuel lines, tyres, fuel pump.
So far I've stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the carb and replaced the inlet manifold o-ring. Now running about 90% ok. Is the clutch heavy compared to modern cars? So over the next few months I'll go over the car and replace/refurbish as required.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brian68

Post by Brian68 »

mark1gls wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:36 pm Hello Brian68, good to hear another Scirocco is on the road and you are out there enjoying it.
It’s a good idea to get all the mechanical stuff working right then worry about the body work as it’s got a MOT so I guess it’s not rusty holes you have to worry about.

Shout if you need any help along the way.
A few bits of rust too tackle, rear inner valance, passenger front wing. The clear coat is also peeling, so I'll redo till such time as it's ready for a respray.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Clutch is heavy in these cars as it’s a cable and not hydraulic like most modern cars but you help things by making sure at the gearbox end it’s going straight down onto the lever and check inside the car that it’s not rubbing on the bulkhead.
It might be worth removing the cable completely and pouring down some 3in1 drip oil down the cable till it comes out the end, you will need to hanger the cable up and something on the bottom to catch the oil, this will help keep the cable moving freely then make sure the cable is routed correctly around the engine bay with as little curves as possible.
It might be worth posting up a picture to check it’s routed as standard.
Bulkhead repair plate is a must if ones not fitted as it’s only a matter of time before the cable pulls though.

If it’s no better and it’s really heavy pedal it could be time for a new clutch and only go for Sachs or Luk clutch kits as they are good quality.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Draigh

Post by Draigh »

PXL_20210220_111625713 (Medium).jpg
PXL_20210220_111602661 (Medium).jpg
Hey all. I'm Guido and I've had my Mk3 for a few years now. Have owned a Golf Mk3 and Polo Mk5 before but so far, the Rocco can't be beat :-D
Registered a bit back but looking forward to read and (when this covid thing finally ends) perhaps meet you all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MRMENDER

Post by MRMENDER »

Welcome Draigh
Nice looking car

Yandards

Post by Yandards »

Hello, in the middle of sticking a jade green scala back on the road after parking it up for 4 years. Owner exactly the same colour scala from 2003 until 2006. Just waiting on various Heritage back orders so I can change all the suspension bits for new stuff alongside the usual oil, filters, cambelt etc. Various pile of jobs to tackle to get it how I want it (completely back to standard) and already replaced the blown MFA/clock screen and repaired a section of the clock wiring.

Yandards

1991 1.8i DX Scala in pearl green
1990 16vG60 Corrado in blue pearl
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Welcome back!
Best colour used on Sciroccos, in my opinion.

bruntonpasty

Post by bruntonpasty »

Hello all...................
Just signed up yesterday and, not even got the car yet! Oh yes..."the car"!! I've somehow managed to buy myself a 1987 GTX, being delivered on Friday. Looking forward to that and looking in here for good info and advice. I do know a little bit about cars as I was a technician and a master technician for a while but packed the trade in 15 years ago.

Cheers, Bruntonpasty

87 Scirocco GTX 8v
2014 skoda Rapid Spaceback SE Tech 1.6CRTDI 102
2016 Transporter T6 102 highline
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome bruntonpasty, is the car MOTed and on the road or is it a project to keep you busy?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
bruntonpasty

Post by bruntonpasty »

Hi Mark, The car has been used very little in the last five years. It was MOT'd up until last November and will be coming to me with a new MOT. I'm up in Cumbria but the GTX is near Chester, I'm paying someone to collect and deliver. I did consider taxing and Insuring it then driving her home but, The seller, who is in the trade and the owner suggests this may not be the best idea. I actually agree, anything could happen so a shakedown locally is a better idea than a breakdown on the M6. I have RAC cover but not to get me home, just recovered to a garage. Looking forward to seeing it.

87 Scirocco GTX 8v
bruntonpasty

Post by bruntonpasty »

Well....it's arrived!! Was starting to get dark but first impressions are good!! A few dents but no obvious signs of rot. Clutch feels grotty but that's not worrying me. Other than that...a thorough check over and I reckon she's very much usable as she is..

87 Scirocco GTX 8v
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Welcome, we have organised ad hoc get togethers in the Lancashire area you may wish to visit, depending how far North in Cumbria you are. There's a reasonable road down, that's either the M6 or via Shap! The former is quicker, the latter more fun.

bruntonpasty

Post by bruntonpasty »

Village Idiots wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:01 am Welcome, we have organised ad hoc get togethers in the Lancashire area you may wish to visit, depending how far North in Cumbria you are. There's a reasonable road down, that's either the M6 or via Shap! The former is quicker, the latter more fun.
A road trip is always possible, I need contacts for parts and stuff...lol

87 Scirocco GTX 8v
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

bruntonpasty wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:51 pm Hello all...................
Just signed up yesterday and, not even got the car yet! Oh yes..."the car"!! I've somehow managed to buy myself a 1987 GTX, being delivered on Friday. Looking forward to that and looking in here for good info and advice. I do know a little bit about cars as I was a technician and a master technician for a while but packed the trade in 15 years ago.

Cheers, Bruntonpasty

Welcome - a GTX saved by the sound of things!

Serial Rocco-ist.........
bruntonpasty

Post by bruntonpasty »

GTXTRA wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:20 pm
bruntonpasty wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:51 pm Hello all...................

Cheers, Bruntonpasty

Welcome - a GTX saved by the sound of things!
Yeah, she's worth saving I reckon just need to start and collect some bits and pieces in readiness for a coat of paint. There isn't a lot of "traffic" on here? Or much in the way of spares for sale? Any suggestions?

87 Scirocco GTX 8v