The Zender Z40 Build

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
isaidthephil
fill in the right answer: 10

The Zender Z40 Build

Post by isaidthephil »

Afternoon all, it's been a long time since using the forum but great to see it's still nice and active :)

So.... some of you may have seen my old build thread from a few years ago - http://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=13453

Sadly it seems things have changed since then and all my pictures aren't visible anymore so to save you all the boring scrolling through writing without pictures I have decided to start a new thread for the re-build of Frank :)

It's probably going to be a slow sporadic thread but what I intend to do it provide pictures and detailed info on everything I do which will hopefully help some of you guys in the future..... that's right, you can learn from my mistakes :good:

So to start things off I will give a brief overview of the car as it stands and then give you an idea of where it's going.

As it stands;
  • 1991 MK2 Scala
    The car was originally black but colour changed to a later VW metallic black
    1.8 16v KR running GSXR 750 Bike Carbs which are supported with a Facet Red Top fuel pump and Filter King fuel regulator
    4-1 Stainless Manifold by Dub Power
    Custom straight through to back box stainless exhaust by Powerful
    16v Master Cylinder / Servo
    Weitech Coilovers
    Bullet Sixty wheels - 15" - 9j rear, 8j front - Powder Coated Gold
    Lower front Strut Brace
    Upper rear strut brace
    Fully Polly bushed
    Fog lights remove
    Headlight blanks
    Rear wiper removed
    de-locked
    Aerial move from wing to roof
    Audi 80 handles
    Custom decals
    Corrado VR6 Black cloth front seats
    Rear seats and parcels shelf removed and boarded
    Wolfsburg Steering Wheel

I think that's everything..... it's enough at least.

So where are we going?
  • Zender z40 body kit
    Full respray - Probably metallic black again
    Custom decals again but different this time
    16" Compomotive TH2 in Gold
    Toying with air ride simply for ease at shitty shows in fields but I will probably stick with the coilovers for better track use
    Full roll cage
    Complete interior rip out and re-trim with seats I haven't yet decided on - this will be my favourite part but it's a long way away yet
    Engine out and clean up
    Replace bike carbs for Weber twin 40's
    Toying with CAE Short shifter
    Toying with some kind of brake conversion simply to try and limit the junk in the bay
    Toying with power steering
    A general good clean and tidy up but I won't be doing any of that de-seeming and hiding wiring crap :)

Just to add, I have the rear spoiler for this kit too, I just couldn't be bothered resting it on the back :)

There will be more happening I am sure but I will add and update as it happens.

First on the agenda though will be removing the bike carbs and getting the car some what running on the Webers before I take it all out to clean.... pictures and write-ups to come but if you want to be kept up to date as it happens then go and give my car Instagram a follow

@rocco_horror_show
  • Oh and just to add, as the build progressing there will be lots of things going up for sale but I will list them as and when but to give you an idea of the things I definitely know will be for dale please see below;

GSXR 750 Motorbike Carbs jetted for a 1.8 16v

Inlet manifold for the GSXR Carbs (ideally want to sell these together)

Black Cloth Corrado VR6 Front and rear seats

Standard Scala body kit and bumpers (I am pretty sure I know need the bumpers with the z40 kit but I will cross that bridge when I get to it)

essextom

Re: Rocco Horror Show - Phase 2

Post by essextom »

looking forward to seeing this build progress.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome back and I’m looking forward to updates.

By the way I can see your pictures in the original thread...?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Thanks both :)

Oh yeah the pictures do still work don't they, I swear they used to bring up an error.... Or maybe it was because I was on my work computer lol.

Quite enjoyed looking through the old thread. Didn't realise how much I'd done to this car.

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Made a little progress this week, firstly by removing the bike carbs to trial fit the webers;

After some elbow grease with some scotch brite and GT85 the face of the inlete came up nice for a simple trial fit

I then needed to clean the face of the manifold as it was a bargain forum find a few years back;

To then find the original bolts wont go through the manifold..... well just this one annoyingly;

So I ordered some stainless studs and nuts;

but annoyingly they were too short *face palm*

So longer ones are now on order.

Seeing as I was already in the garage I decided to make myself useful by dropping the coolant to remove the cooling system and strip the front to make life a little easier.

There's no going back now :)

Fingers crossed the studs will be here this week so I can do a trial fit of the webers and just give it a turn over, hopefully fire up before then taking the engine out to clean up and rebuild the carbs. I would rebuild the engine but it was actually only rebuilt about 2k ago so ill just clean it up and replace with some shiny auxiliaries :)

essextom

Post by essextom »

you might want to take a look at this- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Weber-D ... 3204540627 the anti vibration washer things are meant to be handy to prevent float chamber issues. the lads at the rolling road place fitted them to mine when i took it in

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Thanks for the suggestion Tom, I will definitely get some of them. I did wonder how they would survive the vibrations considering the bike carbs were rubber mounted to the manifold for that reason.

treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by treefingers »

glad to see new progress on this car!

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Made a little more progress this weekend as I decided to start removing some of the old kit to see what surprises awaited me :s ..............

Front valance off and to my surprise the front slam panel is absolutely mint, no rust or dents at all :)

Next up was the arch and sills and once again absolutely mint minus standard stuff like where it's been jacked on the sill and where the front arch has been rolled slightly. One thing I will say though is James Cook wasn't lying when he said the kit had been bonded within an inch of its life to the car lol. I got a right sweat on removing it applying pressure and getting a blade in behind but we got there slowly.

Seeing as I needed to take the front wheel off to get to some of the arch screws I decided to trial fit my new wheels which I have actually had sat in the garage for over a year waiting to start the build :)

Naauuugghhtttyyyyyyy :)........ but what would be naughtier..... maybe lining up some of the Zender kit? oooohhhhhh yeahhh baby

I'm not going to lie, as I was removing the old kit seeing just how mint this car was underneath I started to question if I was doing the right thing but after trial fitting the new wheels and lining up the kit I am well and truly sold and in love :)

I know some people will think I am destroying a perfectly good car BUT at the end of the day it's still going to be a scirocco with a slightly rarer Zender kit which was actually released at some point so ti is a part of the Scirocco history.... also it's my car and I am really bored with how it looks, it's never really been that special to me as I have always wanted something a little different which I am hoping this will be.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

i am liking this.. what's the plans for paint?

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

That would be telling.......

Lol only joking, cheers for the comment.

Right now I'll be sticking with the black and gold theme. Probably a full respray in black and then go in with some custom gold decals which I haven't thought about yet.

I would do with something lacquered in but I want to be able to change it in the future.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Phil - absolutely mega.

One to watch for sure.

I think you should rename it Car-lo Ancelotti though!!!!

Serial Rocco-ist.........
isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Lmao good shout 🤣🤣

Speaking of re-naming a thread, is that possible? I can't seem to see how you can do it.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

isaidthephil wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:51 am Lmao good shout 🤣🤣

Speaking of re-naming a thread, is that possible? I can't seem to see how you can do it.
Let me know what you want and I'll see what I can do. PM or Facebook DM me.

cheers

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

isaidthephil wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:51 am Lmao good shout 🤣🤣

If you edit your first post in the thread you'll see the title is also editable there.

The kit looks awesome by the way!