The Roccie Horror Show

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
isaidthephil
fill in the right answer: 10

The Roccie Horror Show

Post by isaidthephil »

Hey guys,

Some of you may remember me for my old Scirocco GT11 "Rocsan" http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carf ... 19&t=10959.

Anyway I have since sold that car to make room for my new project.

HOW THE CAR NOW LOOKS 28/04/16;

Below are a couple of images my new Scirocco GT11. I picked the car up for an absolute bargain price and it's an absolute minter :) not a spot of rust on it and no tares on the seats etc. The only problems it has are some little bits of paintwork and tiny car park dinks.

The car has originally done 64k miles but had new clocked fitted with the new 1.8 16v KR Engine.

ANYWAY!! enough talk, here's the car. I will post more pics etc as i begin to do more work to it....... believe me ALOT will be happening.

Old Rocco and new Rocco together :)

SO!! Whats planned?

Next weekend the engine is coming out, being completely stripped and rebuilt. It's going to be a loooooonnnnnggg day / night with lots of brews and Redbull I think.

Then it's custom 4 branch manifold, down pipe and exhaust. Manifold may wait a bit but the down pipe / exhaust is a must as it looks a little bodged underneath. It's a good bodge but I'd rather have something i trust and know will last.

Then its Coil Overs an having my G60's banded to 9.5J Rear and 8J Front.

Then have all the body kit removed, MK1 Golf arches fitted. Rear exhaust groove and arial hole removed and smoothed. Then a full exterior respray in the standard colour.

Then it's a re-trim inside. Nothing too drastic, just new roof lining in Black Cord and having the outers of the seats trimmed in black leather leaving the centers as they are :)

All of this over the next 12 - 18 months depending on cash etc.

It would be cool to have some feedback / ideas chucked my way.

Cheers

Phil
Last edited by isaidthephil on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 16v MK2 Scirocco

Post by monzajake »

Tidy and good plans.
Only thing id say is buy a right handed manifold so you can get rid of that massive induction tube !or move the metering head !

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Cheers :)

I was thinking that myself but wasn't sure what manifold I could get to shift it. Any ideas?

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

go on to the german ebay. You can pick up a 40 odd mill one for about 160ish to your door.
But keep you eye on the parts for sale as i may be selling one as my plans have changed !

Or i have a 50mm left hand (mk2 golf) that is for sale !

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

All my bits have arrived ready for the weekend :)

Doesn't look like a lot but it should make a big difference.

I've also been offered an ABF 2 litre bottom end with piston rings for £80. Is this a mod thats worth doing?

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Soooo last weekend I took the engine out (with help from a friend), stripped and rebuilt it. Below are some pics of the ordeal;

1am Engine out, bit of a mare without a manual;

Engine stripped the next day;

Engine rebuilt and fitted the next day;

5am and we're back in business

Car wouldn't tick over to start with but we then realised the Idle Valve sensor had got caught whilst lowering the engine back in splitting the pipe and snapping the cable. Quick replacement and we were running :)

Now it's time to sort this piece of shit bodge of a down pipe out;

It's going into a company called WGT tomorrow morning to have a fabricated Down Pipe made and to be put on the Dyno. Then Friday its off to Powerflo to have a Custom straight through stainless exhaust system made and fitted =) I'm having an offset back box to the pipe comes out straight with a 2 1/2 inch upsweep pipe. It should in theory look and sound nice.

Then next week I will be taking the wheels off and spraying them up in Gun Metal Grey. I should have some adjustable Coilovers in the pipe like and I've managed to source some smoked rear lights (not shitty chavy ones) just a nice smoke to them.

I will post a video up next week to show you all how it sounds with the next exhaust system.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Like this.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Cheers :)

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

Right!!

Since having the engine out and doing the rebuild I found some bits and bobs weren't right, for one the loom, ECU and dizzy etc were all from the 8v meaning I am down by around 60BHP and the pipes from the heater matrix were wrong not quite fitting right. Anyway it proved a nightmare trying to get hold of the right loom etc on it's own so I decided to buy a full new engine ( just for the bits I need ) managed to get the below for an absolute bargain price;

So this week myself and a very helpful friend will be swapping all the electrics over and hopefully will have it running sweet :)

Oh also last week I have a custom straight through to back box exhaust fitted ;

It is sounding great :)

Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Good work... Don't suppose you have an unwanted breather hose off one of those (presuming they are mk2 golf KR) in good nick ?

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

isaidthephil wrote:Right!!

Since having the engine out and doing the rebuild I found some bits and bobs weren't right, for one the loom, ECU and dizzy etc were all from the 8v meaning I am down by around 60BHP and the pipes from the heater matrix were wrong not quite fitting right. Anyway it proved a nightmare trying to get hold of the right loom etc on it's own so I decided to buy a full new engine ( just for the bits I need ) managed to get the below for an absolute bargain price;

So this week myself and a very helpful friend will be swapping all the electrics over and hopefully will have it running sweet :)

Oh also last week I have a custom straight through to back box exhaust fitted ;

It is sounding great :)
I don't get that. An 8v kjet doesn't have an ECU - was it a digifant one? An 8v dizzy won't physically fit, either. Suspect you might be getting mixed up with something else.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

I'm not going to lie to you I have absolutely no idea what what been done BUT i know there isn't an ECU in my car? The guy who fitted the engine is either very clever or so thick he just somehow managed to make it work.

Right now it is running like an absolute slag, constantly hunting, sometimes wanting to cut out and if I turn it off after a bit of a drive and it's warm it wont start for about 10 - 15 minutes, it just turns over really slow :s It's all very weird and im hoping i can get it all sorted with this donor engine. Any ideas what this might be?

As for the breather pipe, I'll take a proper look at everything I have at the weekend, pretty sure it has one though and all the piping looks in pretty good condition. 'll let you know next week fi that's good?

Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

isaidthephil wrote: As for the breather pipe, I'll take a proper look at everything I have at the weekend, pretty sure it has one though and all the piping looks in pretty good condition. 'll let you know next week fi that's good?
That's fine cheers... Had a hole in mine for 2 years so a week or so longer wont hurt! I'm not on here too often so bare with me if I don't reply straight away!

isaidthephil

Post by isaidthephil »

SOOOOOO time for an update.

After a lot of messing about, buying too new an engine etc etc I finally managed to get my hands on a pre 90 ECU and ECU loom, in fact I ended up with two ECU's which is good as it's always handy to have a spare.

fitted the ECU and bobs your uncle the car is running 100 time better, it still needs rolling roading to be setup as it is running a little rich BUT at least it's now not cutting out all the time and it actually feels fast. I have a set of 160mph clocks in the garage which I need to fit soon as it now does way over 120mph, not that I ever really go that fast but it would be nice to know exactly how fast it will go one day.

Something else that needs going are the earths, I find that if i run the car until it's hot, turn it off then come to start it again (say getting petrol) it then turns over really slow, sometime not starting at all and i have to leave it for 5 mins before it will start again. This an issue any of you have every had? i have been told that it's probably just bad earths but if anybody else has any ideas fire them my way.

As I have said earlier I bought the car with the engine already fitted and found that the previous owner had completely bodged it including a very badly bodges down pipe to make it fit. I have since had a custom down pipe made and it appears my gear linkage is catching near the top of the down pipe which is almost warn half way through the lingage.

I have been told that if i buy a short shift linkage like the on below It should miss the down pipe, getting of the horrible rattle and giving me a better shift. Have any of you had this type of problem before? I'm guessing something similar had to be done on the original 16v Rocco?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150992005130? ... 97.c0.m619

Any help would be great, if not im just going to buy the linkage and see what happens.

Anyhoo, I know forums can be very boring without pics so here are a couple of recent pics of the old girl, not a lot has changed visually but transmission wise it's coming along slowly but nicely :) soon as im happy I will move on to cosmetics.

please excuse the tatty wheels, new wheels in summer plus these will be sand blasted and powder coated ready for next winter.