Rear exhaust section for 1.8 mk2 - custom?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

Rear exhaust section for 1.8 mk2 - custom?

Post by rosie »

Hi. Yet more exhaust problems - I eventually found a downpipe but the mechanic couldn’t fit it because in the meantime the rest of the exhaust had deteriorated too much. I managed to find a middle section on ebay, but can’t find the rear section. I ordered one (my mechanic gave me the eBay item number and told me it was the right one) but was told by the seller that it’s the wrong one, it can’t be modified, and I should get one fabricated instead as there’s no hope of finding the part.
Has anyone here had an exhaust made for them? I don’t know where to begin.
All the eBay exhausts look the same in the pictures but have a different letter at the end of the parts number so I’ve no idea whether any of them are right or not.

The mechanic suggested a stainless steel system but I had a look on vw heritage and it’s way out of budget. I read a couple of threads on here about the Jetex systems but people seem underwhelmed by them.

Hit me with your advice please!
Last edited by rosie on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
rosie

Re: Rear exhaust section for 1.8 mk2 - custom?

Post by rosie »

Someone on the forum mentioned having a Powerflow stainless steel system. They have a local dealer so I’ll give them a shout and see if it’s a viable option for me.
Would love to hear your opinions on all the various options though please.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Go for stainless if you can scrape the money together, cheaper in the long term.

essextom

Post by essextom »

i got an exhaust from autodoc a few months back, listed a fair few, they should have one for your car.

but a full stainless custom system would be better

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

Rosie, is your Scirocco a 1.8 GT II (carb, with body kit)? If so, the part number you need is 533253609AL. I bought one for mine from these people:

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/exhau ... 096880.htm

It's genuine new old stock, great quality and perfect fit, sourced from Volkswagen Classic Parts.

From 1 January foreign companies are supposed to charge UK VAT when selling to the UK customers. If they don't, be prepared to pay an extra 20% VAT plus the courier's customs fee once goods arrive in the UK.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Mystery Mk2
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Mystery Mk2 »

Hi.
Got my full system off these, Online Automotive Ltd.

rosie

Post by rosie »

Thanks everyone.
Online Automotive don’t do the back section anymore - they’re the people that told me it was obsolete now and I’d never find one.

GT_II - I think that’s the right one, I’ll double check with my mechanic.

I got a quote from Powerflow for the custom stainless steel - £400 (including the downpipe) It’s more than I was expecting, but by the time I add up all the other parts plus labour (and maybe customs charges), and then factor in doing it all again in 5 years when it rusts away, maybe the SS one is the way to go.
Mixed reviews for Powerflow online though, so still scratching my head.

Thanks for all the links and advice, much appreciated.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton