Bit of advice needed 1.6 gt timing belt

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
fev1983

Bit of advice needed 1.6 gt timing belt

Post by fev1983 »

Happy new year not been on for a while,
My mk2 gt 1.6 just past it test today but Iv decided to give it a bit of love.
I hardly use it but going to start running it most days.
So I want to change the timing belt,i don’t know when it was last done.
Iv not much idea with engines but do you need to change the water pump at same time?? Or is it worth doing at same time??
My garage has asked me to get the parts and he will do it.
Many thanks
Danny

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Bit of advice needed 1.6 gt timing belt

Post by GT_II »

There is no need to change the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. Unlike on most modern engines, the pump is driven by the auxiliary V-belt rather than the timing belt, and can be easily replaced without touching the timing belt. It's worth checking the condition of the auxiliary belt though as that has to come off before replacing the timing belt.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
fev1983

Post by fev1983 »

GT_II wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:54 pm There is no need to change the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. Unlike on most modern engines, the pump is driven by the auxiliary V-belt rather than the timing belt, and can be easily replaced without touching the timing belt. It's worth checking the condition of the auxiliary belt though as that has to come off before replacing the timing belt.
Thanks for that,,
Really didn’t have a clue,,
The fan belt is noisy on start up so think I will get one and a timing belt kit and get him to do both,,,

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

It’s best to change the cambelt (timing belt) tensioner when replacing the timing belt and even better if the kit comes with a new stud.
No need to touch the water pump as mentioned and the cost should not be to much if a garage is changing the belt as it’s about an hours work top if taking your time and with not rusty rounded bolt heads.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
fev1983

Post by fev1983 »

mark1gls wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:36 pm It’s best to change the cambelt (timing belt) tensioner when replacing the timing belt and even better if the kit comes with a new stud.
No need to touch the water pump as mentioned and the cost should not be to much if a garage is changing the belt as it’s about an hours work top if taking your time and with not rusty rounded bolt heads.
Cheers for advice..
Danny