Irish Scirocco GTII

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
BarNone
fill in the right answer: 15

Irish Scirocco GTII

Post by BarNone »

Hi guys,

New to the forum, this is my 89GTII which I've had for a few years now but only recently getting around to getting it back on the road. The guy before me snapped the timing belt so I popped in another engine to get her up and running again. Its not much of a show queen so I just wanted the car to be functional and driving before I started modifying it. I'll redo the engine and tidy up the bay down the line.

Last month she got her NCT/MOT so now the road to getting the few final bits done begins. The list is long but I want to sort the rust on the body, rebuild the bbs, fix the gears and spruce up the interior. Plan is to make it as drivable and reliable as possible and hopefully get to a few cars&coffees once this pandemic stuff is over.

I'll attach a few photos below and update as I go. I'm no stranger to modified cars but if you guys have any tips or best mods to do to these cars I'm all ears. Thanks
ImageIMG_20200529_220008 by Bar None, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200326_125119_554 by Bar None, on Flickr

Image2020-04-23 08.03.50 1 by Bar None, on Flickr

C 20 CCO

Re: Irish Scirocco GTII

Post by C 20 CCO »

Nice steady project material for you 👍. Check out winston 1988 GT Mk2 you’ll be blown away..... Also check in on Tom who owns Dreadnought customs, subscribe on YouTube as he has posted some great uploads... Who knows you could be showing the way too!

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

C 20 CCO wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:21 am Nice steady project material for you 👍. Check out winston 1988 GT Mk2 you’ll be blown away..... Also check in on Tom who owns Dreadnought customs, subscribe on YouTube as he has posted some great uploads... Who knows you could be showing the way too!
cheers mate, yes i do a fair few bits and i have a you tube page dedicated to Scirocco stuff, i try to do a new video each week. you can find my website here, loads of bits n bobs, hopefully more custom parts in the coming weeks/months.

https://dreadnoughtcustoms.co.uk/ i do ship worldwide

you tube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtoApB ... hK3tDfTW_Q

BarNone

Post by BarNone »

C 20 CCO wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:21 am Nice steady project material for you 👍. Check out winston 1988 GT Mk2 you’ll be blown away..... Also check in on Tom who owns Dreadnought customs, subscribe on YouTube as he has posted some great uploads... Who knows you could be showing the way too!
Thanks man. Already stockpiling a few parts in preparation for summer. Does anyone know if the kits on these can be painted easily? I'd like to match mine to the body color. Also does anyone in the UK break roccos for parts?

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

BarNone wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:37 pm
Thanks man. Already stockpiling a few parts in preparation for summer. Does anyone know if the kits on these can be painted easily? I'd like to match mine to the body color. Also does anyone in the UK break roccos for parts?
Depending on what parts you need, just ask here and you will get reactions or poiters for parts.

Joost

essextom

Post by essextom »

yeah they can be painted easy. any body shop can do it. its removing them to be painted thats the biggest pain as it usually reveals rusty arches to fix.

BarNone

Post by BarNone »

essextom wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:42 am
yeah they can be painted easy. any body shop can do it. its removing them to be painted thats the biggest pain as it usually reveals rusty arches to fix.

I'm thinking of getting it painted on the car for now. Probably a bad idea but a local painter says he should be able to manage it. I don't want to be messing with rust and glue etc until next year when I can restore it properly.

Also sourced a set of these vdo gauges this week so I'm buying the needed sensors as we speak.

Imagereceived_1017371038748586 by Bar None, on Flickr

Can't seem to find one of these online that isn't a full kit so gonna make this part for the shifter
Imageshiftkit_03 by Bar None, on Flickr

Also looking for a set of these grey tartan seats and a black if anyone knows of a set? Thanks

Image1563639652_vw-scirocco-mk2-gray-4 by Bar None, on Flickr

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

To me it does seem a waste of time and money to paint the body kit on the car then take it off next year as the paint will probably crack when you come to remove the body kit so it may need re-painting again.

I think the black body kit on a grey car look good.

Have you had a feel inside the rear wheel arch lip for crusty metal as it gives you some idea what the arches are like?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

An advert has just popped up on parts for sale for some GT II seats - should be the sports seats in grey tarten you are looking for.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
BarNone

Post by BarNone »

mark1gls wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:02 pm To me it does seem a waste of time and money to paint the body kit on the car then take it off next year as the paint will probably crack when you come to remove the body kit so it may need re-painting again.

I think the black body kit on a grey car look good.

Have you had a feel inside the rear wheel arch lip for crusty metal as it gives you some idea what the arches are like?
Yeah I've had a look around and it recently passed its test so it can't be too rusty. Just wanted to keep it all in one piece for a while and get some miles under my belt. I might just leave them black for now. I'll see

I want to make one of those little short shift kits but I'm not near my car for the next week or two. Would anyone be able to give me the width of their shift arm and a rough hole size so I can knock one together while I'm at home? Would be much appreciated.

BarNone

Post by BarNone »

GT_II wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:16 pm An advert has just popped up on parts for sale for some GT II seats - should be the sports seats in grey tarten you are looking for.
Thanks very much. I'll take a look now

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Rust under the trim on wheel arches will not result in an MOT failure in UK. Don't know about Republic of Ireland.

BarNone

Post by BarNone »

Village Idiots wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:38 am Rust under the trim on wheel arches will not result in an MOT failure in UK. Don't know about Republic of Ireland.
If its visible or if I'd be able to feel it with my hand then it would fail for sure. I had some slight bubbling on both doors and I had to get it all cut out before it could pass. Nct is a nightmare for rust