Tailgate replacement

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Kdc169
fill in the right answer: 15

Tailgate replacement

Post by Kdc169 »

well today I've gone and collected a solid tailgate..and loosely installed..

What a nightmare trying to peel liner back..
Any how couldn't work out how to get the central locking hose off..so ended up cutting pipe,will repair it later..

Also trail fitted radio... replaced tail ght bulbs..

Drove car round field..

Scirocco mk2 rusty tailgate replacement https://imgur.com/gallery/Bq3Fabh

C 20 CCO

Re: Tailgate replacement

Post by C 20 CCO »

Looking at the Haynes manual, the rear lock actuator is held in place with a couple of screws. This also has the connection rod to the rear of the lock. I would hope releasing the actuator would give you access to release the pipe. I would have thought the rubber pipe would have welded itself on after all this time anyway. Cutting might have been your only option [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Blueshark »

Kdc169 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 am well today I've gone and collected a solid tailgate..and loosely installed..

What a nightmare trying to peel liner back..
Why did you not undo the four bolts which are on the tailgate instead.

Joost

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

haha joost.... because didnt know where the wiring,vac pipes, go.. or split so found joins in cables then puled through. Had tailgate swapped on mk2 golf before they cut cables and never pulled through wires for heated screen, so thought do myself and make sure wires and connection made.. only have to sort the vac line for central locking ... if i ever get round to it.

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

C 20 CCO wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:02 pm Looking at the Haynes manual, the rear lock actuator is held in place with a couple of screws. This also has the connection rod to the rear of the lock. I would hope releasing the actuator would give you access to release the pipe. I would have thought the rubber pipe would have welded itself on after all this time anyway. Cutting might have been your only option [emoji848]

to be fair i didnt actually know was central locking... as its not worked ive only had car few weeks and concentrated mainly on getting it running... was bought as non runner. Have still to finish it off, but 1 vac connection then im taking spoiler off to reseal and paint... hopefully.

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

C 20 CCO wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:02 pm Looking at the Haynes manual, the rear lock actuator is held in place with a couple of screws. This also has the connection rod to the rear of the lock. I would hope releasing the actuator would give you access to release the pipe. I would have thought the rubber pipe would have welded itself on after all this time anyway. Cutting might have been your only option [emoji848]

To be fair i didnt actually know was central locking... as it was not working. i've only had car few weeks and concentrated mainly on getting it running... was bought as non runner. Have still to finish it off, but 1 vac connection then i am taking spoiler off to reseal and paint... hopefully

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

To be fair i did not actually know was central locking car... as it was not working. Only had car few weeks and concentrated mainly on getting it running... was bought as non runner. Have still to finish it off, but 1 vac connection then i am taking spoiler off to reseal and paint hopefully

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Not a lot of sciroccos were central locking. When I had my alarm installed I requested that my doors are changed to remote locking. So convenient 👍

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

my gtx crusty has central locking which i was amazed to find if im honest and it worked!
striped the last of it out of the car this week and put it away for safe keeping.

kinda shocking how much that tail gate has rusted though! :shock:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!