GT2 Restoration Ideas

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
thxxx
fill in the right answer: 15

GT2 Restoration Ideas

Post by thxxx »

Hi All, new to the forum and to the world of the Scirocco, but not to VW. Having had a Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign I kick myself daily for selling, I finally got back into the fold with a Mk2 Scirocco GT2. To be more specific, 2 Mk2 Scirocco GT2's.

One is a black complete car with running engine, but plenty of rust (more on that in a bit), and the other is silver with no running gear, no boot and a slight ding on the OSF wing, but very very little rust. I think only the front sills have gone a little, and possibly under the wings (I won't know fully until I get it back here).

The black one is currently being stripped out in the garage, and not one for passing up a challenge figured I might be able to bring this thing back to its former glory. I have a GTi engineering bottom end engine with high lift cam and Weber carb on my spare engine, which will go in whichever one I keep/is best at the end.

Now for the dilemma. I am not a fan of scrapping cars, especially when they are oldies with character... however. I am not a welder, and don't mind learning a bit, but the black one is in a state. If I got someone to do it I'm looking at the best part of £3k for inner and outer sills and rear chassis arms, without all the other bits (including the clutch cable, rear lower panel has disintegrated, all 4 arches, both door skins, and the boot lip), and they just aren't worth that much even when in tip top shape. They'll also both need painting when complete.

The silver one is in surprisingly good condition, but the front ding worries me. I need to check the crash structure and make sure the arms aren't bent. The front crash bar (name?) is bent and a bit flattened, the bonnet has a ding and the wing is slightly crumpled, but I'm talking an inch so it might be fine underneath.

So do I create one car out of the two, and then scrap/sell the other chassis? Or embark on a potentially 2/3 year project to get them both running? I have a 1yo and full time job in the mix here, so time is limited.

My instinct is to build one good one, but then it's one less scirocco on the road, and that could be restored at some point. Based in Cornwall and spoken to a couple of welders so far, who all think it's doable and nothing scary.
IMG_0404 copy 2.jpg
IMG_0403 copy 2.jpg
IMG_0402 copy 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thxxx

Re: GT2 Restoration Ideas

Post by thxxx »

a few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

Is there a secret Cornwall MK2 Scirocco fight club? So many Sciroccos in the one area. If it was me and like yourself, you have a full time job that if im guessing has nothing to do with the motor industry, I would go for one car first and build a solid shell with a good paint job. You could use one car for cut offs. At the end of the day your still saving one and building it to last and not a quick patch up bobs your uncle that will last a year or two. Anything after this can easily been taken off and on and modified to your hearts content. Theres no point spending a fortune on mods only to find they all have to come off due to lack of body structure. On ebay recently there was a 2.0L 16v that sold completed by Lizard Retro Classics. I've never heard of them and I do not know them, but they seemed from the bumpf very keen Scirocco fans and sold a very solid example. Maybe gave them a shout as there in your area.£3k for inner and outer sills and rear chassis arms is very expensive and I would get a requote on that.

thxxx

Post by thxxx »

Thanks Whiteshark, I think that's the route Im going down. I just dropped round to look the other chassis and the front lower rail/longitudinal member is bent to about 15 degrees, so obviously had quite a shunt, along with the front quarter has ripples along the top, so may not be cost efficiently salvageable anyway. I guess its now a case of working out whether it's cheaper to repair that finding someone with a jig to see if the full frame is bent, or use that as the sacrificial lamb and literally cut all the good bits out of it to weld into the other one!
Ah, decisions decisions. So either way, it looks like one of them is being broken so will have loads of parts going spare soon! Engine/gearbox/exhaust/hubs etc. Best place would be here in the classifieds and eBay I guess?
I've got a guy coming over Thursday who's done some welding for me in the past to have a look for me, I might get the structural bits done (if not too expensive) then tackle the rest myself in a DIY learning curve. It won't be a patch up job, I want this thing to drive around for a few years then sell on eventually, with the idea of doing another project at that point.
Thanks for the tip, will give Lizard Retro a shout as well and keep this thread updated with my progress.

A couple of pics of the other shell damage. Its a shame, otherwise its amazing!

thxxx

Post by thxxx »

Decent underbody. It's been rolled over now and is clean on the NS as well.

thxxx

Post by thxxx »

So, the second shell is now at the body shop, with the first one being consigned to the dustbin/stripped for parts, but the project is a goer! The gti engineering 1.9 bottom end is on its way and the parts will be slowly refurbed as time goes on!

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Good luck and keep us updated with the progress.

thxxx

Post by thxxx »

Thanks white shark, I’ve had the frame measured and checked, it’s all ok other than that front arm which is being replaced. Fortunately you can still get hold of them for a reasonable price! And the wing has been swapped with the wing from the black one with a new arch, so it’s going ok at the moment! Other than that the shell is solid for a 30yo car, compared to the black one, even the body shop couldn’t quite believe it.

It will be a bit of a frankencar of the two by the end, using the door and boot of the black one for this shell, and I need to find new vinyl for the roof and an upholsterer to repair the worn drivers seat in the Cornwall area, but otherwise parts seem easy to come by.

Is there an easier way to upload photos? Seems to take an age, as I have loads of the bits so far.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Try tapatalk app if you are taking pictures on your phone as you can upload them from the app.

Keep the updates coming as always good to see another Scirocco being saved.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
thxxx

Post by thxxx »

mark1gls wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:54 pm Try tapatalk app if you are taking pictures on your phone as you can upload them from the app.

Keep the updates coming as always good to see another Scirocco being saved.
Cheers, will give this a go!

Currently have a question, may have to post in the engine section too. The engine I will be using has a blanking plate where the fuel pump should be, and there is no vapour separator attached to the cam cover.

I am assuming in this case the fuel pump has been replaced and is somewhere else in the vehicle (which I no longer have :-/ ) and the vapour accumulator has been removed entirely?

It has a double choke weber with lynx inlet on it, not sure if this makes a difference? Trying to work this out in case I need to keep the existing fuel pump and vapour accumulator? Thanks for any help on this in advance!

thxxx

Post by thxxx »

Some pics of the cleaned up bits so far!
IMG_0694.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I guess someone fitted an Separate electronic fuel pump and removed the mechanical pump.

You could either re fit the original set up or wire in an electronic fuel pump...

Membership No. 323
thxxx

Post by thxxx »

mark1gls wrote:I guess someone fitted an Separate electronic fuel pump and removed the mechanical pump.

You could either re fit the original set up or wire in an electronic fuel pump...
Thanks Mark,
Is there any preference on these in the scirocco? I know some other marques have a preference for an aftermarket pump? I’ll do a bit of research today and work out what I need to keep. Looks like heritage do them if I don’t keep this one and change my mind later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I’ve not had any problems with a standard mechanical pump.

Membership No. 323
thxxx

Post by thxxx »

Ok, so a bit more researching leads me to believe the engine I have is a DX rebuilt GTi engineering 1.9 bottom end, with big valves and a twin choke Weber 45 Carb. Should be quick enough, and that led onto fuelling questions. Apparently to fuel this setup I need an electric fuel pump located near the fuel tank, so I have one of those on the way.

Second dilemma, the steering rack I have is pretty knackered, and I've seen them on Heritage for relatively little money, however the mounting parts for the gear linkage don't seem to be available anywhere? As in the bits which the selector lever attaches to? I have the old ones here and could fabricate if needed, but would rather have proper ones.

Also, how far gone (in terms of rust) do wishbones have to be before they are unsalvageable? I know this is a vague question, and I have 4 so not too worried at the moment, but want to know if these others can be saved are or ready for the scrappy.