GTX Build.

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
SimonB
fill in the right answer: 15

GTX Build.

Post by SimonB »

Good day All,

After dropping onto the Register stand at the Classic car show last week, and having a good look at the display..... i have been somewhat motivated (thanks for the chat Sean.... GTXTRA i think?) to get my build going again!! :-D
Had the car around 3 years now. Its a MK2 GTX in Helios blue. Picked it up as a partially stripped non runner which actually ran perfectly well with just a new battery and some clean fuel, but it still needs a front wing, headlights and various other little bits and bobs. Interior was sad unfortunately as it had got really damp from standing outside.
rocco1.jpg
rocco2.jpg
I got it transported back to the workshop and commenced the tear down as soon as i had a bit of spare time...
scirocco strip down.jpg
Front end and engine is all stripped out, most of the interior is out, after that it slowed down considerably as i got stuck back into other peoples projects, and the car has been sat on a trolley under a cover in the corner of the shop since. :-(

This is my attempt to kick start the project again. I've been a member on here since buying it, but been one of those people that drops on and reads a bit on the odd occasion but that's all i'm afraid as the project stalled, so after my chat with Sean i thought this may keep the project moving forward this time. Apologies if i've posted it in the wrong place, but seemed like the obvious receptacle for my thread.

Hopefully i'll be back with regular updates now. Even if only small jobs i'll try and update. Sean did give me the challenge of getting it done for next years National meet.... might need a bit of a miracle for that.... but here goes!!! :-D

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SimonB on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

97 MK2 GTX Project - Build thread started finally! http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/carfo ... 19&t=22110
68 Beetle
04 Beetle
C 20 CCO

Re: GTX Build.

Post by C 20 CCO »

Set monthly challenges Simon, once you get so far into the rebuild it will give you a boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
Fresco3000

Post by Fresco3000 »

Great colour, it's always hard to keep up momentum in winter months. No doubt this will bring you a lot of fun! I have a GTX that I may end up breaking depending on what the next few months do to my projects.

1980 Mk1 Scirocco GLi / 1986 T25 Caravelle / 1989 Mk2 Scirocco GT
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Thanks Dave. Going to need all the boosts I can get!

Thanks Fresco. Actually hoping that the winter months will give me more time in the shop to work on it as I will have less customers popping in with their cars when the weather is bad. If you do decide to break your GTX I could put together a list of bits i need for mine and you could give me a price on it all if you like. Where are you based?

Simon

97 MK2 GTX Project - Build thread started finally! http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/carfo ... 19&t=22110
68 Beetle
04 Beetle
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by GTXTRA »

Helios?
Gtx?

What’s not to love!?

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Fresco3000

Post by Fresco3000 »

Looks like you've got a great space to work on it.

I'll give you a shout when I decide, have an option on another car next week. If it tempts me the GTX will have to go.

I'm in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

Fresco3000

Post by Fresco3000 »

Hi Simon,

Dropped you a PM, give me a shout - Looks like I'm breaking a GTX.

SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Well, the first week has gone ok so far. Progress has been made!! :-D

The guy I bought it off had planned to just break it for parts to rebuild his race car when needed, although luckily he didn't break his own too often out on track so very few parts are needed now to make it complete again. :-D
Front wing has been sourced...
scirocco wing2.jpg
Hub carriers have been media blasted, old bearings removed and then treated in a rust remover dip...
Before blasting.jpg
After cleanup.jpg
Just got to decide on colour for powdercoating now. I'm thinking gold of some sort. :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

68 Beetle
04 Beetle
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

How about Gunmetal colour ..... they’ve come up a treat Simon, nice job[emoji106]

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

C 20 CCO wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:45 pm How about Gunmetal colour ..... they’ve come up a treat Simon, nice job[emoji106]
Thanks Dave. They do look pretty good just as they are in gunmetal colour... but planning on using BC coilovers....
h-18-br-ra-2_grande.jpg
So thinking along the lines of gold for some of the suspension components. :-D
Might end up with a bit of gold on the wheels too. Goes with Helios blue nicely 8-)

I've got some other bits of the car in the dip tank currently... gear linkages, engine brackets etc. Once i've media blasted the parts I always dip everything as it gets right into the pores of the metal, especially castings, and stops the rust which blasting can't reach before I powder coat them.

68 Beetle
04 Beetle
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Thumbs up matey, this is going to look a treat. These are the boosts I was talking about 😉

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

Fresco3000

Post by Fresco3000 »

Sweet, classy colour combo!

SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Well, another week gone and i've made some more progress.....

New hubs as one of the old ones was well past keeping, new bearings and bolts too ready for assembly into the powder coated carriers when i've done them.
hubs.jpg

Cylinder head has been mostly dismantled before it's refurb...
Cylinder head.jpg
I'm thinking along the lines of a port and polish for the head. Bottom end will be a swap for a 2l AGG i think.... although i've just used my donor for a swap into a customers car :-( but they're not too hard to come by thankfully. :-D I'll uprate the cam too, might even put bigger valves in it but not 100% sure they are really worthwhile as i'm sticking with original Kjet injection. Might lighten and balance it all too. Suppose i need to make my mind up now :lol:

Steering rack and gear change has moved forward...
Rack.jpg
New rack. Old one seemed ok, but was pretty old and tatty. New tie rods and ends(need painting). Waiting for boots and new clips to arrive still. Powerflex bushes for mounting it.
Gear linkage brackets have been blasted and dipped ready for powder coating as well as the steering rack clamps. New bush kit, R clips and rods for the whole assembly. Short shift linkage for it. Shift rod is missing from the pic as i'm still finishing off my weight for it to improve the shift feel alongside the reduced throw.

Hoping the momentum continues for another week :pilot:

68 Beetle
04 Beetle
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

We’ll be watching with interest, tune in to next weeks episode folks!

Seriously though, this can be tricky balancing customer work, your project and dare I say it... an understanding family.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......

SimonB

Post by SimonB »

C 20 CCO wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28 am We’ll be watching with interest, tune in to next weeks episode folks!

Seriously though, this can be tricky balancing customer work, your project and dare I say it... an understanding family.
Thanks Dave. :-D
Sounds like you have some understanding of balancing all those things ;-) but yes.. it can be a nightmare at times... although i'm lucky that my family are pretty understanding really. My daughter is currently most miffed that she can no longer get in the Scirocco and pretend she's driving it though!! :laugh:

68 Beetle
04 Beetle