Regular noise with road speed, bearings or brakes?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
NebToast
fill in the right answer: 15

Regular noise with road speed, bearings or brakes?

Post by NebToast »

The front end of my Rocco has developed a light noise which sounds like a train "Ch Ch Ch Ch Ch" which increases with road speed but can't be heard about 30. It's independent of engine and I think it's coming from the front right wheel. I jacked up the car and gave the wheel a spin and you could hear what sounded like a light brake rubbing noise for 60% of the rotation or so. Does this mean I've got a warped disc or does this sound more like a wheel bearing?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Regular noise with road speed, bearings or brakes?

Post by mark1gls »

I found it’s really hard to hear a worn front wheel bearing by just spinning the wheel on the jack.
To check if it is a wheel bearing to noise should stop when you put strain on the bearing by turning left or right, 9 times out of 10 if you turn right and the noise stops it’s the left bearing and if you turn left noise stops it’s the right bearing.

Try that and see/hear if the noise stops and let us know..

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

could be disk related, havent bent the disk cover behind it have you?
if you take the wheel off and rotate the disk you should be ablt to see if somethings binding.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

I have exactly same on mine - brakes / discs seem ok and I suspect bearings however, tyres are mega rock hard compound and noisy as hell - these now off awaiting some nice sensible Pirellis on original snowflakes - but cannot take it further until I get the gear box back in!!! Will be interested to compare notes.....

NebToast

Post by NebToast »

kidcrewbob wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:03 pm I have exactly same on mine - brakes / discs seem ok and I suspect bearings however, tyres are mega rock hard compound and noisy as hell - these now off awaiting some nice sensible Pirellis on original snowflakes - but cannot take it further until I get the gear box back in!!! Will be interested to compare notes.....
I put exactly that, new pirellis on snowflakes, on my Rocco a few months ago and it made the ride and handling so much better!

NebToast

Post by NebToast »

received_2208935829367376.jpeg
So I've ruled out a bent wheel, and warped disc. With the new disc on I gave the wheel a gentle turn to feel for the noise, old pad dust came off in a pattern. As you can see from pic above the pads are touching disc for some of the rotation which is what I believe is causing the noise. What does this mean? Something is bent? Driveshaft? Any ideas appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NebToast

Post by NebToast »

I've had trouble with odd wheel bolts on this car before with the drums and one being too long. Could it possibly be the bolts are holding the wheel unevenly?

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

If you're sure the disk is flush to the hub, then this suggests the hub is running out of true in the steering knuckle. Possibly a warped hub flange or dud wheel bearing?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The brake disc once the the wheel is removed only has 1 screw holding it on, fit the wheel back on as the wheel bolts hold the disc in place and see if you still have the same problem.

If no better remove the brake disc (you can just pull the pads out and there should just about be enough room to remove the disc) and with a wire brush clean the hub face so it’s nice and smooth and check for any lumps or bumps on the back of the disc as it must sit flat on the hub.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323