mk2 8v Webber conversion mediocre result

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

mk2 8v Webber conversion mediocre result

Post by scirocco_ne »

As the title states i fitted a weber conversion to the mk2 a few months ago (new) and its reliable and solid now but i just cant get understand why its hesitant at times.

It runs great but has one little niggle i hate. If you literally flat to floor the car whilst driving it will always hesitate for a split second then deliver perfectly... I have fine tuned it to death now on the screws and it has done nothing.

Day to day driving this is not noticeable but it always does it flat out accelerating.

Is this a common experienced issue? could it be the silly rubber adapter although it looked fine on fitting? I am stumped really as its a fixed jet so theres very little you can do and i know alot of people dont even tune them.

Thanks
Mick

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: mk2 8v Webber conversion mediocre result

Post by blakey »

Could the issue actually be on the ignition side - check the vacuum pipes to the distributor, and the free movement of the base plate in the distributor. It could be a delay in the advance of the ignition...

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

Common issue, AKA lean bog. If everything else on the carb is working and clean and all set absolutely correct, there are a few ways to address it.

Most effective way is by upping the accelerator jet aka pump jet, swap it for the next size up, e.g. if it's a 45 fit 50.

Is it a DMTL?

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

blakey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:55 pm Could the issue actually be on the ignition side - check the vacuum pipes to the distributor, and the free movement of the base plate in the distributor. It could be a delay in the advance of the ignition...

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

Thats a good shout pal thanks i will check the dizzy

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

chopperoli wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:28 pm Common issue, AKA lean bog. If everything else on the carb is working and clean and all set absolutely correct, there are a few ways to address it.

Most effective way is by upping the accelerator jet aka pump jet, swap it for the next size up, e.g. if it's a 45 fit 50.

Is it a DMTL?
Yeah It's a brand new Dmtl kit. I was offered a bigger jet by weber so i may take the offer up.

The set up seems all correct so i would assume it should be something else. Can the rubber sandwich plates cause issues like this?

thanks
Mick

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

What is the CO setting?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

try weakening the mixture half a turn and see if the hesitation goes, it may be a rich condition

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

james butler wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:20 am try weakening the mixture half a turn and see if the hesitation goes, it may be a rich condition
I will try but the guy from weber and the carb dealer told me i was basically unable to adjust mixture on it without a jet change as the 2 screws relate only to idle or below 1800 rpm i believe. I tried and recorded all sorts of positions around the recommend in testing.

Thanks
Mick

james butler

Post by james butler »

hes kind o half right.
the mix is mainly set by the jet size but the idle setting is adjusted by the mix screw and has a big impact on pick up and smooth running.
i had similar problems and was convinced it was running lean.
my grandad of all people mentioned just try screwing the mix screw in the other way and try it.
sure enough it ran loads better!
carbs are a learning curve but they are simple cheap things to mod
Last edited by james butler on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

james butler

Post by james butler »

definately check for air leaks as its a common reason for having issues with any carb.
spray carb cleaner on all the carb joints and see if the engine picks up or dies.
one thing you should also check is that the engine dies when you wind the mix screw all the way in.
I've set a few of these carbs up and have found some have had the secondary throttle plate set incorrectly giving odd issues.

Jimbog

Post by Jimbog »

I have exactly the same thing with my new weber DMTL kit. Fairly annoying.