Gear linkages-Tips please?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

Gear linkages-Tips please?

Post by scirocco_ne »

I fitted a new linkage Bush kit, ball, rods etc a month or so go and it was beautiful after instalation.

However the dam thing seems to periodically work loose and go sloppy as hell which is driving me mad. I had it on a ramp the other day to sort it.

I removed the main pivot arm, refitted with a nylock and a week later i am sure its a little loose again.

Am i missing a trick here? The new bushes on the l pivot arm seem to carry play already so i am wondering if letting it run loose a few weeks has worn them excessively already?

The linkages have also excessively squeaked since installation at times and i am wondering if the fact its running a little hot is causing the lube to evaporate fr them and thus run dry.

Anyway hopefully i am missing something here. I may well order the bushes again and re do them to see if it cures the issues now its locked off with a nylock.

Thanks
Mick

scirocco_ne

Re: Gear linkages-Tips please?

Post by scirocco_ne »

I may have placed this in the wrong place and double posted.. doh.

Off to a flying start sorry. :P .. . Haha

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Is it number 43 which is coming loose? - http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/ca ... 429/lang/e

What grease are you using? It runs close to the exhaust, so even though it has a shield you should use a high temp grease. I just used axle grease on mine.

- David
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

In the diagram above if it's the arm 10 becoming loose in the clamp 42 it's possible that the splines on either/both have worn.
Most of the bushes don't require any grease.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

I put grease on all the bushes, I smear a little grease on the metal ball end which the linkage bar fits onto.
Have you also got/replace the felt pads underneath the ball sockets?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

I replaced the ball socket with metal ones, keeps the play away for sure and won't break again :-)

Have been thinking of having them made for selling but not sure yet, it is not that hard to do yourself, you have the example in the car. :-D

Just for the idea what I mean.

Joost
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280& ... 3MnnJ5CCLM:

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Blueshark wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:03 am I replaced the ball socket with metal ones, keeps the play away for sure and won't break again :-)

Have been thinking of having them made for selling but not sure yet, it is not that hard to do yourself, you have the example in the car. :-D

Just for the idea what I mean.

Joost
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280& ... 3MnnJ5CCLM:
Like this kit? - https://usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_ ... Path=13_34

Would be good to have something like this in Europe! I'd buy it.

- David
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

A chap called Martin Emment runs a gearbox and engine rebuilding company - Gas N Gears on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/gasngears/

He also makes the metal linkage kits - usually around £100 a set. Unfortunately he just sold his last set a few weeks ago.

He is well known in VW circles and I personally have had two gearboxes built by him and only recently sold my own metal linkage kit that he made.

If you're interested in a set, drop him a message on Facebook - the more that do so, the more likely he is to produce another batch.

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Thanks for the replies.

it's the metal L shaped rod that bolts from below that appeared to loosen off periodically. The one that accepts a gear rod through it above and has the ball on the bottom. Its number 16 on that diagram. The bushes on that part 3 in diagram also have play already.

I may resort to some high temperature grease as suggested. I initially used lithium grease.

The idea of uprating the rods is right up my street. Every 205 ive ever owned has had group n rods fitted.

Maybe in the new year though as ive just put £600 into the front end... gulp

I have a very good 3d printer aswell and jave toyed with the idea of producing carbon fibre filament infused bushes if they withstand underbonnet temperatures ok. The material is certainly hard wearing.

Thanks
Mick

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

That rod (number 14) has a rectangular end profile that slots into the rectangular hole in number 11. If that's not perfectly seated it will work loose.

You can get uprated bushes for part 3 but only from the US - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pc-VW-DELRI ... 2166515607

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

mr.brown wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:12 pm That rod (number 14) has a rectangular end profile that slots into the rectangular hole in number 11. If that's not perfectly seated it will work loose.

You can get uprated bushes for part 3 but only from the US - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pc-VW-DELRI ... 2166515607
And even that set is two bushes short.

Joost

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I've had that nut work lose a couple of months ago after re-bushing my linkage, a bit of thread lock and a good tighten up seems to of worked for me so far. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

To be fair it does seem to be holding now but working loose has sadly worn the bushes prematurely again so i will get some more and see. It was lovely and tight whem first done.. lesson learned.

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

scirocco_ne wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 pm To be fair it does seem to be holding now but working loose has sadly worn the bushes prematurely again so i will get some more and see. It was lovely and tight whem first done.. lesson learned.

Check the arm itself as well, if driving with worn bushes too long the arm could have worn as well and damage the new bushes quicker than should.

Joost
Last edited by Blueshark on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Toast

Post by Mr Toast »

The clamp which holds the elbow on the gearbox can become loose and new bushes won't solve it. Best thing is take the clamp off the gearbox and gently squeeze it together to make it tighter when the pivot elbow is fastened in it.