Second Coming...

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Second Coming...

Post by blakey »

So glad to be back in a Mk2 Scirocco!
I'd better introduce myself, and my Scirocco. I'm Mark, a life long VW enthusiast, both air and water cooled, and live on the Derby/Notts border.

A few years back I owned an '88 GTX in Pewter Grey, after I sold it the regret sunk in pretty quickly, but wasn't in a position to get another one until this year. Back in the summer I started looking for a Scirocco, but a Mk2 Golf GTI was also on the short list but my wife has one, so did we need two? Long story short I also looked at Corrado's too and ended buying one. I think I bought it in sympathy and ignored all the lessons I had learnt over the years. Earlier this month I had to make my decision to stick with it or cut my losses and move on. The decision was made, and the hunt for a Scirocco was on - as if by some turn of fate, a car that kept catching my eye before I bought the Corrado was back up for sale, so I spoke to the owner and a deal was done. I took delivery of it last Tuesday, and although it hasn't been on the road for nearly 10 years, after a service and good check over, it passed it's MOT on Friday - very pleased!!

Weather permitting, I'll get some more photo's up this week.

Plans - keep it standard, improve it cosmetically and mechanically, and most of all - use it!! :-D

1989 Scala
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
GTXTRA

Re: Second Coming...

Post by GTXTRA »

Good stuff - patience pays off.

We look forward to progress on the resurrection - these are pretty special old cars.

Keep an eye out on our events news - in particular our National Meet is being announced any day now for Summer '18.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
ernie
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ernie »

That's a great colour... must be pretty rare. Looks like it's in good shape too, others will know better but I think your bumpers would have been body coloured originally? Quite like them in black though!

I have an '89 Scala too. One thing I'd check and maybe replace is the rubber grommet that holds the throttle cable in at the top of the accelerator pedal - both my last 2 Rocco's that stood a while and were then recommissioned had the same issue - you're going along then the accelerator pedal suddenly drops to the floor. Hopefully not when you're on the motorway at rush hour as I was. £3 worth spending on prevention!

blakey

Post by blakey »

Thanks gents :)

I like the colour too, it definitely needs a polish, it's Sapphire Metallic with the Dove Grey interior, which is also pretty good but needs a good clean. Re the bumpers - the front has been replaced, originally black and looks to have had headlamp washers fitted. The rear still has remains of the paint on it, it's all but polished off, maybe a job for the summer...

I changed the heater fan today as the original was seized, and did few other bit 'n' bobs - good call on the accelerator grommet, it went on my previous GTX. Checked the Scala today - no grommet and not secured, glad I checked it when I did. Will order a Mk2 Golf grommet for it.

Repaired my odometer today too, but still need to repair fuel and coolant temp gauges - possibly the voltage stabiliser....?

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
16v_coupe

Post by 16v_coupe »

Welcome :-)

Very nice 88 Scirocco you have there I especially like the colour, I also have an 88 Scirocco GT 16v in Flash Silver. I wish that VW would have sent more interesting colour choices to America, they only offered Black, Red, Silver, and White for the 88 model year. Looking forward to seeing updates on your Scirocco :vcool:

88 Scirocco 16v, 1.8 litre PL, L90E
87 Scirocco 16v, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LY3D
82 Scirocco S2, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LK5Y
81 Scirocco S1, 1.6 litre 16v EW/PL, LA3V
80 Scirocco Storm, 1.6 EG, L98F, GTG 951W (sold, in PA)

:pilot:

Post by 0055 »

Hi. Car looks good. I picked up an 89 Scala in April this year, same colour as yours which has been sat unused for 8 years! I toyed with the idea of giving it a light refurb then taking it for an MOT, but nearly all the rubber bushes underneath look to dry and cracked. I think a full resto is the way to go for me. What we’re all the rubbers like on your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blakey

Post by blakey »

In the years mine was off the road, I think it has been stored both inside and out at times. It is solid with no welding having been done or required, the springs and dampers have surface rust on them, but bizarrely the bushes are all in good condition - I was actually quite amazed how it drives, as it has no creaks, rattles or knocks.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455

Post by 0055 »

Sounds like you got lucky! I filled mine with coolant today and it poured straight out the back of the engine somewhere! Going to have a better look tomorrow where it’s coming from, but don’t think I’ll get away with a good service and mot. Full resto for me I reckon!

blakey

Post by blakey »

Well, maybe not so lucky..... I sorted a few bits out over the last couple of days, so quite pleased. However, yesterday in an effort to stop my rear view mirror from rattling, I snapped the stalk. That was bad enough, but today whilst still trying to remove the base to repair it, I cracked the windscreen!!

Looks like the original screen too! It does have a fair few scratches though, so now booked to have the screen replaced next week....

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Rear view mirror has a tiny grub screw holding it onto the metal base which is glued onto the windscreen, loosen the grub screw (you need a small Allen key, something like 3mm) then the mirror slides off the base plate.
Rear view mirrors are tricky to get hold off, I think someone on here did use a new Peugeot mirror to replace there’s as they could not find a VW mirror?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

0055 wrote:Sounds like you got lucky! I filled mine with coolant today and it poured straight out the back of the engine somewhere! Going to have a better look tomorrow where it’s coming from, but don’t think I’ll get away with a good service and mot. Full resto for me I reckon!

Sounds like a core plug is missing

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
blakey

Re: RE: Re: Second Coming...

Post by blakey »

mark1gls wrote:Rear view mirror has a tiny grub screw holding it onto the metal base which is glued onto the windscreen, loosen the grub screw (you need a small Allen key, something like 3mm) then the mirror slides off the base plate.
Rear view mirrors are tricky to get hold off, I think someone on here did use a new Peugeot mirror to replace there’s as they could not find a VW mirror?
Thanks Mark!
I could see the hole before, but couldn't see the hex of the grub screw.
All sorted now, it's 2mm Allen key for the mirror and the screen was replaced today, and the good news was that there was no rust behind it :)

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear you got no rust behind the windscreen seal, sorry my help was a little late as you had already broken the screen, if you are un sure on any thing else then please ask, as someone is on here most of the time and we are always happy to help. ;-D

Membership No. 323
blakey

Post by blakey »

mark1gls wrote:Good to hear you got no rust behind the windscreen seal, sorry my help was a little late as you had already broken the screen, if you are un sure on any thing else then please ask, as someone is on here most of the time and we are always happy to help. ;-D
No problem, many thanks.

To be fair, after driving towards the low sun last weekend, the scratches and chips justified the replacement.

The mirror is repaired, refitted and rattle free :) just unsure whether the new screen is fully water tight, so monitoring it....

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I had a leaky new screen in my Mk1 Golf as the new screen seemed a little smaller in 1 corner, I put some rolled up kitchen towel along the bottom of the screen so I could see if any water came in, it did so the windscreen fitter came back and sealed the screen with sealant and it’s been fine for 15 months.

Membership No. 323