White Lightning Scala

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
normies
fill in the right answer: 15

White Lightning Scala

Post by normies »

I thought it was about time that I started to do some work on the white MK2 which I purchased sometime last year.

Here are the photos which convinced me to take the gamble and make an offer

I was looking for a MK2 which would make a good base for an engine conversion - replicating the 1.8T which I have installed into my MK1 Golf Cabriolet (I have always thought that the rocco was under powered and would be the perfect recipient of a power boost)

So I set about looking out for a mk2 with no sunroof and low miles, the engine, gearbox are coming out as part of the engine transplant, so service history or engine/gearbox combination are not important.

I managed to pickup with little beauty which I found through Facebook.

The plan is still the same, however, funds and too many projects have put things on hold for now!

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: White Lightening Scala

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome normies, nice looking car you have there, is it the fuel injection or carb?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

E plate will be carb. F could be either.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
normies

Post by normies »

Thanks for the welcome guys, she is a carb auto (has so much power!)

Not sure what I am going to do with the car yet, as I have a storm on the go too!

normies

Post by normies »

Little update, a few months back I bought some GTI lights with a broken lens, and had planned to refurbish them and source a lens.

I managed to find a lens as part of the zender front end I had for a MK1 golf, but then today managed to pickup another set....with intact lenses!

So now I have two complete sets of UK GTI lights :)

I am going to refurbish one set and fit to the car

Happy Days

I just need to decide what I am going to do with my triple white GTI MK1 Golf Cabriolet.....as it has many useful parts!

Decisions, decisions!

normies

Post by normies »

Now on 4 matching wheels - all with good tyres, I hope that Mr MOT man is happy with them!

normies

Post by normies »

She has gone for MOT today.

Either a rear shoe has fallen apart or a bearing failed as it started to make a very nasty grumble from the back on the way to the garage :(

I am not expecting a pass first time as the last MOT was 7 years ago - lets see what the MOT man says she needs!

Fingers crossed

mark1gls

Re: White Lightning Scala

Post by mark1gls »

Good luck, rear bearings or brake shoes are easily replaced for little money, if the brake wheel cylinders are old then it may be a good idea to replace them as well but you will need to bleed the brakes which I expect you have already done, get a proper brake hose spanner to undo the hose as clean out the Allen key head bolts and a good soak in Plusgas will help loosen them.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323