Mysterious leak...

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
KeiGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Mysterious leak...

Post by KeiGTX »

Hi all!
Every year I have the same issue with flooding in my mk2 gtx. When the weather gets bad I end up with a lagoon under my passenger seat. So bad I have to keep lining the floor with nappies to try and soak it all up :?
Lately it's been somewhat dry so I don't need to drive around with a floor full of bloated nappies. Anyway, the past couple of hours it's been absolutely hammering it down, so I thought it would be a good chance to investigate where the hell it's coming in from. Nothing. Everything is bone dry. Any ideas?
Cheers.
Kei

bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mysterious leak...

Post by bengould »

Do you have a sunroof?
If so there are drain channels in each of the four corners of the sunroof housing/mechanism check all these are clear.

https://youtu.be/KaeEbrHa2As

If you watch the above video, in this episode the guy is replacing the rear drain tubes so you can see where they are. Its on a mk1 golf but the mechanism is the same and the drain tubes follow a similar route.

Ben.

KeiGTX

Post by KeiGTX »

Brilliant, cheers Ben! And yeah I do have a sunroof.
I'll check the video out now.
Are the drain tubes difficult to get to?

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

A regular query.
Also check the drain holes for the sun roof on front scuttle area under the rain tray that covers the heater and wiper motors.
You'll see the sunroof drain pipes disappearing into the inner wing. That area gets blocked with leaves and other crap.
If blocked you'll notice water marks that indicate previous ingress, water can then flow through any missing or damaged grommets carrying wires to the fuse box below.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

You'll also never really properly dry out the sound proofing material under the carpet.

All sorts of aftermarket options, newtons do a pre cut kit or try Frost for sheets to adapt yourself.

They also sell dehumidifier 'air dry' to help keep interiors free from moisture over the long term.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
KeiGTX

Post by KeiGTX »

Great stuff. Thanks for the suggestions guys!