Another Newbie!

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
drsqueggy
fill in the right answer: 10

Another Newbie!

Post by drsqueggy »

Hello Guys,

Another newbie here! I have just picked up a lovely J plate MK2 GT2 in red. Its pretty clean to be honest but needs a little bit of work to get it up to the standard I am hoping for. Shes done 180,000 miles and after looking in the engine bay it looks that way too! She seems to be missing a hose which connects to a circle connector near the manifold? It looks as if this would expel hot air but connects to the air feed for the air filter? I will post some pics of this later. The temperature gauge is also broken, I really need to get that working?....

The car has been driving pretty much fine, i'm using it as my daily driver. It did start cutting out and spluttering the other day though, I chucked a bit more fuel in and its been fine since. I'm thinking maybe the sender in the fuel tank is faulty? As it showed that there was over a quarter of a tank in there. It has a new fuel tank and filler hose thingy (you know the one that rusts), both of those were installed last year along with a new carb.

Ive ordered some service parts from eurocarparts.com, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and some new wiper blades (£30 for the lot!!!), is there anything more I should be buying? Also, what oil would you guys recommend?

Sorry to hammer you guys with questions, I'm just really excited to get it going and looking nice, ready for the VW show in Margam Park later this month. :groove:

Cheers!

1991 VW Scirocco GT2
2006 Skoda Fabia VRS
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Another Newbie!

Post by markh »

Welcome along buddy :hugegrin: Always worth changing the cam belt and tensioner if you're not sure when it was done last. Get some pictures up too mate please !!! :chill:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Welcome mate,

Sounds a nice car you've bought.
May be worthwhile changing the can belt, £4 ish and tensioner £10 both from ECP.
Oil wise 10/40 is good.

When I got mine I changed the dizzy cap and rotor arm again from ECP at £9 for both.

What are the brakes like, again quite cheap for new discs and pads £30 discs and £11 pads, the rear shoes are £11.50 again ECP.

I know the prices as I changed all these on mine back in March when I bought it.

Good luck and enjoy, any pictures?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
drsqueggy

Post by drsqueggy »

Ok this is the only pic I have right now. I have done a little bit of work to the wheels since this was taken a week ago. Ill take some good pictures of the outside and engine tomorrow. I'm still very excited!!! :yahoo:

1991 VW Scirocco GT2
2006 Skoda Fabia VRS
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Looks clean and tidy mate.

I think you have "caught the VW virus", there is no cure and the symptoms last a lifetime :!: :!: :!:

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

looking good :chill: :chill:

Danny
drsqueggy

Post by drsqueggy »

A couple more pics. I painted the wheels black and the surrounds silver, what do you guys think?

1991 VW Scirocco GT2
2006 Skoda Fabia VRS
jabasco

Post by jabasco »

yeah that looks pretty good actually.........................

welcome to the site by the way.. :yup: