Mk 2 Storm Trip Comptuer

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hanna.melbo
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk 2 Storm Trip Comptuer

Post by hanna.melbo »

Hi there,
I am trying to get my trip computer working fully, the digital display on the clock works fine, and displays oil temp (although always is 173*) but it doesn't want to display anything else whilst clicking through the different modes, I was thinking its down to a sensor (or a number of sensors) that may need changing?
I was hoping somebody may be able to shed some light on this before I break the tool box out!!

Thanks in advance :)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk 2 Storm Trip Comptuer

Post by mark1gls »

Check the earth as in my other post, the MPG etc does not read anything till you are moving but you should see oil temp once it gets above 50 degrees, outside temp and time.
The oil temp sensor is on top of the oil filter check the spade connector is not hanging on by a few threads of wire.

Trip computer is also know as the MFA, lots of info also on internet as it was fitted to a lot of golfs as well.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
hanna.melbo

Post by hanna.melbo »

Ok thanks, earth is back on and I have oil temp and air temp. But average mpg reads 2.3 mpg, avg speed is 0 both constantly!

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

Will likely be the speed sensor based on your last post. Could be the vacuum pipe too (to the back of the clocks).

hanna.melbo

Post by hanna.melbo »

Ah ok il check the vacuum pipe when I replace the bulb for the main beam warning lights, (when I can find out where to get one!) Where is the speed sensor located?

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

its on the back of the clocks, its a black block that attaches to the main unit with some screws and a ribbon cable. I found mine was faulty and replaced it. Eventually even that one went. The only way I found to source them was on another set of clocks.

orange circled item above.

hanna.melbo

Post by hanna.melbo »

looks like its getting harder and harder to find these parts without paying a fortune!

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

Partnumber for the 'black box' is 321 907 345B.

Available new for €.65,00.

Joost