What are my brakes?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
SumDarkPlace
fill in the right answer: 15

What are my brakes?

Post by SumDarkPlace »

Had the brakes apart on my '83 GTi today to change the disks. They've been upgraded by a previous owner, and I'm trying to identify the setup they've used. It has 256mm disks, 20mm thick, the calipers appear to be original (56mm piston), the hubs appear to be original with 76mm spaced caliper mounting holes, but I can't identify the caliper carriers. Are they scirocco 16v/audi 80 with these dimensions?

No pictures as I was in a hurry to beat a rainstorm!

duggers
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: What are my brakes?

Post by duggers »

To run 256 most go to 16v or early audi 80 5 cylinder carriers and calipers.
There are other conversions used but they tend to be for bigger rotors.
I have Audi coupe 256mm set up on mine which is identical to the standard factory set up i had on my 16V Rocco a few years back.

Pads and discs are the same as mk2 Golf GTi with 256 set ups should you need them.

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
jpr1977

Post by jpr1977 »

I recently worked on a MK1 Golf cabrio that had 'upgraded' brakes, with 256 discs, thats as far as i or the owner knew....
I expected a mk2 golf set up, however it transpired that the brake set up /calipers were from a an early mk3 golf 8v (also used on seat ibiza cupra's...) After much brake disc and caliper comparing in GSF...

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Probably are. My front brakes are 256 discs from a mk2 gti golf 16v, calliper carriers from an Audi estate and calipers from my old 2.0 l mk3 golf gti. If I need new discs or pads I ask for discs and pads for a mk2 golf 16 v gti.

Little_bro

Post by Little_bro »

The g60 and early mk3 calipers are the same as the mk2 16v. If you need a comparison come around to mine. I can show you a set I've rebuilt that will fit siroccos'.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Does the flexi hose attach with a banjo bolt? If so, could be of vauxhall origin

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3