Coil packs again

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
miniman
fill in the right answer: 15

Coil packs again

Post by miniman »

My scirocco is really beginning to pee me off, again today the car started spluttering and losing power, followed by the engine management light then the epc light, called the RAC and after waiting 90 mins it was diagnosed as misfire cylinders 1 and 3, two coil packs replaced (RAC patrols carry spares)one of which was previously replaced by the RAC feb 2014 so was just out of the 12 month warrenty,in total I have replaced four seperate packs,getting passed a joke.

What could be causing these failures?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Coil packs again

Post by mark1gls »

I've not got a newer Scirocco but my wife owed a polo with coil pack and all VAG's do seem to have a problem with when 1 went, the next one went a month later so I replace all for new ones at 90,000 miles, you can buy genuine VW ones from Eurocarparts and I kept a working spare in the boot just incase.
What make are the ones RAC are fitting to your car?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scirockirb
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Coil packs again

Post by scirockirb »

I had a Leon Cupra R that munched coil packs... Always carried a working spare too!