KR on carbs

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
e732lkv
fill in the right answer: 15

KR on carbs

Post by e732lkv »

I ladies and gents,
I have a scirocco Scala 1988 1.8 EX code running on 2e2 pierburg carb (8 valve), the car has served me well up to now, but unfortunately the bottom end has gone.
I have been thinking what to do next, so I thought to share my thoughts first with the scirocco community.
My first option is to have a complete engine rebuild and hay presto back in the game, my second option/thought is to source a KR engine and run it on carburettors which I know is a popular choice with some VW enthusiasts.
So here goes my big question, Is it possible to use an engine block EX code i.e. a block which uses a mechanical fuel pump driven by the cam on the intermediate shaft and put the cylinder head from a KR engine with carbs which will be fuel delivered by the mechanical fuel pump from the EX block.
so to summarise EX block+ KR cylinder head running on carbs using the mechanical pump to deliver fuel.
Any help ideas would be greatly appreciated, also I would like to take this opportunity to wish everybody a happy Christmas and New year.

Alex .

bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: KR on carbs

Post by bengould »

I don't think the kr head will fit on the ex block.
Comparing 2 head gaskets would be the simplest way to get a rough idea. But even then you would still need to do more research to be 100% sure that all the oil and waterways match. Just because it lines up doesn't mean it's the same thing that is lining up.
Would be much easier to just use a full kr engine and electric fuel pump with a regulator to level out the fuel pressure.

Ben.

MikeH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MikeH »

The head will physically fit but the pistons are completely different, and your compression ratio would be far too low.

An electric fuel pump (like a Facet) and pressure regulator is a better solution. You still need an ignition curve from somewhere, so you'll need a KR ECU as well, or another method...

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
Brave

Post by Brave »

Why would you want to just out of curiosity?
Get a whole engine and use a bike carb pump. These regulate properly and give the carbs exactly what they need. These are cheap, and I'm sure you would need a regulator instead and this would be more expensive than a bike pump.