HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Scala 20vt

Post by treefingers »

you could be right actually. been so long since I took the old one off and it didn't say which way up to fit it in the instructions... thanks! btw can anyone tell this is my first time doing this stuff lol

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

you could be right actually. been so long since I took the old one off and it didn't say which way up to fit it in the instructions... thanks! btw can anyone tell this is my first time doing this stuff lol

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Finally managed to get the lights all working now, that's a tick for the mot list. To combat the puny 7 volts that is seen at the lights I thought I could get away with running some led bulbs.. Didn't work tho. Either the bulbs need 12 volts to work or they sent me a set of duds they wouldn't light up. Going to need to run an uprated loom I think, will have to work out how to get it power with the battery in the back. Still no heater blower tho... I remember when I picked up the car the heater only worked on the 3rd blower setting so it might need a new resistor. Need to put some power through the motor to see if it works, the wiring seems ok.

After fixing all the vacuum leaks and still having small idle problems and rare misfires I think I've sorted it... Got vcds lite running in my mac through vmware fusion hooked up to a cheap eBay cable.. Because it's the free version it only gives you the codes and not what's wrong but you can go on vcds wiki, type in the code and it'll tell you what's up! So I read my codes and found I was missing a MAP sensor, the early 1.8ts like AGUs don't need them but the later more advanced AUQs and AUMs do so I've ordered a sensor and I'll weld a flange on to the inter cooler piping between the cooler and the throttle.

Spend effin hours prepping sanding and dying my seats black and the finish is peeling off already, well miffed about that! The seats don't sit low enough anyway, all my tall friends sit with their heads touching the ceiling! So replacement it is then... I'm either thinking some nice black leather rado seats but they're way overpriced on the bay, some Porsche 944 tombstone seats or rip the backs out, get some cobra buckets and a black suede omp steering wheel.. Then get a corrado 16v as my daily and use this for a toy/tinker car. I don't know yet. I've amassed a month of holiday tho and I am planning a roc trip up to fort William and all round the Scottish highlands round the top and back through the mountains.. It's my new motivation to get it finished as June came and went, the nationals came and went, the year anniversary came and went!

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

OK here's Herman. Little bits to get right here and there and it's doing my head in now as I've built it to how I think it should run. I've done loads of research but I'm no expert so I've booked it into The Phirm to have a look at the cooling system and the electrics and generally check it over and make sure it's all good. They're so busy I've gotta wait until the 17th Nov to trailer it down there, but I can chill about it now knowing it's going to be fine and it's going to get done by the experts.

then once it's back and happy it'll be
MOT
tracking/camber/alignment
rolling road and engine tune
suspension professionally setup

In the mean time I can do some fun stuff though.. Like buy a pair of these..

and one of these..

f-k keeping it standard/classic looking blah blah blah. i've scratched that one off now haha. cars are fun. cars are to be enjoyed, end of!!!!

Zoofy
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Zoofy »

Very nice!

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Aargh. Just typed out a really long and rambling post about my bony arse on bucket seats and lost it when my iPad made me log in. My iPad is a t"sser!!! Here's version two.

I tried out a few different bucket seats and realised they aren't actually what I need for this car.. Went to Exeter to buy some sparco Cobras that were a fraction too tight, the fit is so important! Then tried out my mates corbeaus, they just don't feel like seats Id like to spend hours in on long trips. What I actually need are comfy seats with support and the option for harnesses in case I go down that route at some point.. So when these came up on eBay I snapped them up. Second hand but in great nick, kind on your buns, good support and about a third of the price for just one sparco evo new :p

Can't wait to get these in. Going to fabricate some sliding subframes and get these sitting really low. With a dished steering wheel the driving position should be pretty racy and real fun.

In other news if anyone like me enjoys a good build thread, check out the infamous Forge Motorsport mk1 thread on club gti. Awesome. Just awesome.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

£50 on a brand new n75 valve and Herman is coming on boost again :)

seats in, bit more to do.

Pair has been moved back to 25th nov as I'm at college on the 17th. :( half of me thinks im failing a bit sending him to a garage. The other half says f-k it get this thing on the road...

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Here's some piccy pics with my new camera. My iPhone is more smashed than a tramp on white spirit.

With the missus' mk2 capri..

New genuine OMP steering wheel fitted :)

With my housemate's Polo. He likes stickers. Note the slammed roof rack I just made him..

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Awesome. Well played mate.

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

So does that mean it's finished and on the road?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Really nice project!

- David
eefy

Post by eefy »

must admit, really looking forward to seeing this at next years National Meet ;)

Bill

Post by Bill »

Very nice work, looks stunning.

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

Thanks all. :)

The phirm are excellent. Can't recommend enough, friendly honest and hard working. Helped sort the wiring gremlins I would never have guessed.. The guy who made my loom had cut and taped the ground for the clocks.. No way I ever would have found it!

After 15 months it's now taxed mot'd and insured!!!! First drive today!! So happy.

bengould

Post by bengould »

Great news. Glad to finally read it's done and on the road.

Ben.