Introduce yourself

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
Oggy
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Oggy »

Hello All,

I've just joined the Forum and why haven't I done it before?.
I was a member of the Register and the other Scirocco Owners Club in the 1990's when they set up.
My name is Dave and I live in North Lincolnshire on the outskirts of Scunthorpe.
I work in the Engineering trade as a Time Served Welder and Works Forman.
I'm 46 years old and have owned a VW Scirocco Scala that was registered August 1st 1987 that is in Alpine White and a 1.8 none injection car.
I bought the car when it was around four years old and it has very low milage as it has been in my garage under a dust sheet since 1999!.
The car is 100% standard having a complete full genuine VW exhaust back in 1998 and still has the Blue spot SQR38 radio scassette in from new.
The underside is fully as new in white paint.
I intend recommisioning my beloved car this year (new tyres , brakes ect) and bringing it to some shows in the future.
I have some photos and dearly would love to post them if a Moderator can help me please as I'm not too hot with computers sadly.
BTW is Simon still in the driving seat of the Registar?

Cheers Dave :pilot:

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by GTXTRA »

Welcome - there is a loose collective keeping this going these days, never heard of Simon, I've been involved since returning to VW-Land in 2005/6.

Worth keeping an eye on any threads discussing the National Meet at Cosford in August - we sometime have folk from Mk3 and Sciroccouk clubs and forum turn up for that as well as people from NL and Belgium - there is almost zero club politics compared to what went on years ago you'll be pleased to hear.

Re the photo thing - check the using the forum section 'above' here, if you or a relative/mate already use photobucket/flickr etc etc then that's the best way to post up pictures on here.

Hope you find this all useful - there is an FAQ section linked off the forum and we are also increasingly active on Facebook (International and UK pages/groups).

Cheers

Sean

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Oggy

Post by Oggy »

Thanks Sean ,
I was involved with the original Scirocco Register that I believe a guy call Simon Simcox (or a similar last name) that set up.
I think he came from North Yorkshire.
I have loads of club magazines back from then, I'm talking mid to late 90's, I was also in Club Scirocco, I have both club stickers in my cars rear hatch glass.
I'm hopeless at Photo Bucket (tried it before),
If any mod can PM me their E-mail address I'd be more than happy to send some photos to you , if you have the time to upload them for me I would be really happy.

I would love to come and check the meet out too, my car is that Oldskool and untouched for the last 15 years it still has the early 90's Dance tapes still in it (i'm not joking). :-o
My car has a really good registration too from new "E70 SAT" maybe it is on your records still.

drewb101

Post by drewb101 »

Hi everyone

Newbie here, I'm Drew from Kettering and have just bought myself a nice '88 Scala (carb). Love VW's, already have owned 4 MK2 Golf Gti's and 2 MK1 Golf Clipper Cabrio's - still have a K plate that I am looking to rehome!
My Scirocco is pictured, couldn't resist her, as she has only got 46,000 miles on and want to start to show her in the summer. The alloys have been refurbed but not colour coded, any idea whether these should be dolomite grey or body colour (Sapphire blue)? Can't find any brochures that show, despite looking all over the web!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'88 Scala (Sapphire blue)
'92 Mk1 Golf Clipper cabrio (inkblau) SOLD
'09 Audi S3 3 door
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Hi, welcome, nice-looking car. The Avus alloys wouldn't have been colour-coded on this car, they'd have been the dark metallic grey/black (I assume that's Dolomite). Good to see someone else in my vicinity on here.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

drewb101 wrote:Hi everyone

Newbie here, I'm Drew from Kettering and have just bought myself a nice '88 Scala (carb). Love VW's, already have owned 4 MK2 Golf Gti's and 2 MK1 Golf Clipper Cabrio's - still have a K plate that I am looking to rehome!
My Scirocco is pictured, couldn't resist her, as she has only got 46,000 miles on and want to start to show her in the summer. The alloys have been refurbed but not colour coded, any idea whether these should be dolomite grey or body colour (Sapphire blue)? Can't find any brochures that show, despite looking all over the web!
Yes, they were originally Dolomite Grey when new. Paint code V7u.
Nice looking car.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

drewb101 wrote:Hi everyone

Welcome, nice looking scirocco there. You might find mine at ECP or GSF in Kettering at some point as they are my closest branch.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
drewb101

Post by drewb101 »

Thanks everyone. Had her a week, just got her back from my friendly mechanic, straight thru the MOT....
Wheels have been refurbed but want to make them correct so will have a go myself.
Good to see some other enthusiasts in Kettering area perhaps a meet is on the cards?! Been pointed towards kudc who meet 1st tuesday of month at brewers fayre

'88 Scala (Sapphire blue)
'92 Mk1 Golf Clipper cabrio (inkblau) SOLD
'09 Audi S3 3 door
scirockirb

Post by scirockirb »

Hello all,

I'm Kirby from just outside Bedford.

I've just rescued a 1986 GT from a garden. All I can say is I'm glad I wanted a project. It looks ok on the outside when clean but once I made it back to the garage I've discovered the water pump needs replacing and I think the carb needs a full rebuild as the car is idling at 2k! I've done a lot of reading up on various forums so I'll give it a go!! Haha

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

scirockirb wrote:Hello all,

I've just rescued a 1986 GT from a garden. All I can say is I'm glad I wanted a project. It looks ok on the outside when clean but once I made it back to the garage I've discovered the water pump needs replacing and I think the carb needs a full rebuild as the car is idling at 2k! I've done a lot of reading up on various forums so I'll give it a go!! Haha
Welcome along mate. Water pump is an easy DIY job, the Pierburg is quite complex if it's still fitted.

scirockirb

Post by scirockirb »

ianaudia4 wrote:

Welcome along mate. Water pump is an easy DIY job, the Pierburg is quite complex if it's still fitted.
Thanks... Yeah it is the Pierburg. I've found loads of info about them so I'm gonna give it a go initially... we'll see. :|

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

scirockirb wrote:
ianaudia4 wrote:

Thanks... Yeah it is the Pierburg. I've found loads of info about them so I'm gonna give it a go initially... we'll see. :|
Good for you mate. If you get stuck with the Pierburg then there is a top bloke in Chelmsford that is a wizz with them.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

If it's just a fast idle that's the problem, it might well be something simple like the wax stat, rather than needing to rebuild the whole carb (I'd leave it alone as much as possible).

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
scirockirb

Post by scirockirb »

the edmundator wrote:If it's just a fast idle that's the problem, it might well be something simple like the wax stat, rather than needing to rebuild the whole carb (I'd leave it alone as much as possible).
Thanks... I've read about the process of elimination so I'll work my way through. The cars been sat for a year so the hoses look deteriorated (to put it politely!). Need to sort the water pump first so I can run the engine to test.

scirockirb

Post by scirockirb »

ianaudia4 wrote:
scirockirb wrote:
ianaudia4 wrote:

Good for you mate. If you get stuck with the Pierburg then there is a top bloke in Chelmsford that is a wizz with them.
Thanks! :-D