MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
jimmy h
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Post by jimmy h »

The wheel could have been dragged and dropped from Ryan's 'NRB' thread - It is the same wheel! drove the car last weekend with it on for the first time. Best wheel you can get for a MK 1.Without doubt, it feels right, it looks right.

I notice when I'm watching: Chasing Classic Cars (Wayne Careny). The Momo Prototipo steering wheel is a replica of the one fitted to the Ferrari Dino.

Maybe I've been watching too much of Wayne! the Ansa sticker on the tail pipe? OK it's not an Ansa Exhaust... But, neither was Sonny Crockets Daytona a true Ferrari, but, it still looked good, get my drift! 8-)

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

My X1/9 had an Ansa exhaust. Fabulous noise.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Made a start.
Split the seat into 4 sections.
Treated the rust with POR15.
Got some stuff!
Started addressing the worst cracking.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You're so right about the wheel Jimmy - It's like it was always meant to have it!
(it's also surprising what a difference brand spanking leather feels like compared to the 30+ years old original...)

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
16v_coupe

Post by 16v_coupe »

jimmy h wrote:Image

The wheel could have been dragged and dropped from Ryan's 'NRB' thread - It is the same wheel! drove the car last weekend with it on for the first time. Best wheel you can get for a MK 1.Without doubt, it feels right, it looks right.

I notice when I'm watching: Chasing Classic Cars (Wayne Careny). The Momo Prototipo steering wheel is a replica of the one fitted to the Ferrari Dino.

Maybe I've been watching too much of Wayne! the Ansa sticker on the tail pipe? OK it's not an Ansa Exhaust... But, neither was Sonny Crockets Daytona a true Ferrari, but, it still looked good, get my drift! 8-)
:good: Great looking steering wheel that you have put in this Storm.

This gives me hope that I will find a good steering wheel for my '80 Storm, that I will start restoring this Summer here in America :-)

I also like the Ansa sticker :vcool:

88 Scirocco 16v, 1.8 litre PL, L90E
87 Scirocco 16v, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LY3D
82 Scirocco S2, 2.0 litre 16v 9A, LK5Y
81 Scirocco S1, 1.6 litre 16v EW/PL, LA3V
80 Scirocco Storm, 1.6 EG, L98F, GTG 951W (sold, in PA)

:pilot:
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

^ thank you for the above comments. :-)
Not sure how I think this is going, one thing for sure is it's a big improvement, trouble is I'm a bit of a perfectionist which in itself never leaves you satisfied.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

There was a short article in a supplement that came with Classic Cars this month, about re-connolising leather. The chap (who is one of the original Connoly-trained upholsterers) says that a proper restoration of leather involves taking the leather right back to the start and removing all the colour. For perfection, I expect that's what you'd need to do.

Looks good, though.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

They look very good.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Bit of a teaser, photobucket is being a pain, more photo's to follow. Long story short,I didn't like the 'shiny finish' thought it looked too 'plastic coated, 'went back to the manufacturer of the kit and got a 'satin sealer' much happier with end result :-)
So... Drivers seat, rear bench and 4 side card to do!

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Naturally, the passenger seat was letting the drivers down, so the last few weeks I've been on with that.
ImageImage

MOT this Friday so fingers crossed.....

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

They have come up a treat.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Cheers Sean,

Bloody hell, what a day!

Passed. No advisories, I guess a few could scoff and say it's a 're-built car' but, it is 34 years old, 140 K on the clock 40 year old technology meeting modern criteria which is not getting any easier....

I'm not all that arsed about that, or what I've spent on it, the grin on my face driving again was priceless.

Stormboy
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Stormboy »

Just looked at the receipt from 1994 that was my car Lance Litherland! I thought I recognised the car, you have done it a credit it looks awesome mate, you given me the enthusiasm to restore my mothers storm owned for 26 years, you might have seen it when you viewed the blue one

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Stormboy wrote:Just looked at the receipt from 1994 that was my car Lance Litherland! I thought I recognised the car, you have done it a credit it looks awesome mate, you given me the enthusiasm to restore my mothers storm owned for 26 years, you might have seen it when you viewed the blue one
Hello Lance,

I did wonder if one day you might have a peek on here and spot the receipt with your sig which I put up . When I bought the car off you I came down to Tewkesbury (about half way for both parties) with my brother and met you and your father, lovely spring day.

I've got a great memory: both sills and rear panel also came from you a few years before my car went for restoration.
Many, many thanks for your kind words about my project. I took it to a local car show today and there was some serious exotica there - an Alfa Romeo Zagato circa 1988.
Jeez they were thin on the ground when they came out, and very expensive. I had some very nice comments about the old Storm. I've been hooning around a bit in it lately and it always catches peoples attention!

My advice is: If you are serious about your Mum's car? make sure you have deep pockets, and a huge amount of time - to do it justice.

As a quick after-thought, if you do go the 'whole hog'. Imagine putting it next to Mr Menders MK1 or the fabled old DBC car,(both I've never seen in the 'metal' the standard is massively high. I thought mine was a very good attempt, until I saw Bills Indiana Red GLS back in Cosford last summer - Jeez. what stunning example :-o

I've also found the people on here are very helpful, sincere and straight-forward.

I'll PM you about the VW letter. Good luck with the project..