1979 Scirocco GLS 1272cc

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
eefy
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1979 Scirocco GLS 1272cc

Post by eefy »

WOW that it all :)

Winston

Post by Winston »

Thank you sir!!

I was meant to buy my paint at the start of the week but I was still unsure. I had it down to two colours Bright yellow and Bali yellow. one was too yellow and the other too green so I had a another rattle can made up of a 50/50 mix custom colour. Well it was poo and not what I was hoping for so I went over the wing in what I had left in my bright yellow rattle can and it has sold it to me.

Fail colour by Winstang, on Flickr

The colour looks nothing like this. tbh

L11C tester 01 by Winstang, on Flickr

It looks more like more like this in the flesh but brighter. It will be a nice surprise when people see it in the flesh fingers crossed.

I knocked this up in Photoshop Saturday afternoon to try and show you how the colour looks as I kept failing with the camera.

The Vision by Winstang, on Flickr
Last edited by Winston on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston

Post by Winston »

I picked Glyn up this morning and we got cracking. The main achievement for the day was a steering rack mount brace. Glyn came up with some awesome ideas to try and keep it fatctory looking. very happy with how it turned out.

Brace yourself by Winstang, on Flickr

After dinner glyn made tracks so my main plan of attack was to rust treatment, prime and seam seal the bulkhead.

Zinc 182 by Winstang, on Flickr

Rust treated by Winstang, on Flickr

First line of seam sealer. I still need to do another line just wanted to keep it tidy so didn't want to do to much in one go.

Seam sealing by Winstang, on Flickr

Good to see it primed. It still needs some more dolly work and filler but its getting there. :wub:

Primed bulk head by Winstang, on Flickr

RobinJI

Post by RobinJI »

This is looking awesome. After having a Coupe S as my first car I've always had a thing for the small block engines, there's just something fun about them.

Really liking all the effort going on under the skin, very cool car.

A little tip I picked up a while back for welding up small holes rather than plating the rear, is to hold/clamp a piece of thick copper behind the hole, the weld will arc/pool on it but not bun into it, so you can plug weld the hole as is there was a plate behind it, but then just lift off the copper leaving the back nice.

Winston

Post by Winston »

Cheers Robin! That's a nice tip. I have had to grind of all those bits of metal from the back of the bulk head.

Its picking up again in Rocco world. Glyn is back on the welding case. He should be putting in a few evening shifts this week. We were due to do Sunday morning but I got locked out of the unit, that will serve me right for leaving it for so long. :-[ :-[

In other news... I am now on my 5th trumpet choice. This is what I have wanted all along and couldn't resist treating myself, 150mm Jenvey air horns, just look at them. :wub: :wub: :wub:

150mm Trumpets by Winstang, on Flickr

150mm Stacks by Winstang, on Flickr

Winston

Post by Winston »

I was never fully happy with the vernier. I found another on eBay.de. It needs some TLC but it looks much chunkier which is what I really wanted.

Vernier Pulleys by Winstang, on Flickr

Glyn worked some fab magic this weekend enlarging my notches. I will post before and afters just to show how big it is.....

Before notches

First notches 3" pipe

New notches 4" pipe

Foxy came up last night to put the under body protection on. Sadly I had not bought enough and my compressor was poo. It will be going off up to him as soon as the welding is finished. :wub:

dingorocco

Post by dingorocco »

Coming on in leaps n bounds Winston. Keep at it man :D

Merry xmas

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor

Brownrocc resto thread... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3070996
Winston

Post by Winston »

Thanks Grant and a belated happy Christmas to you. :)

Winston

Post by Winston »

Over the Christmas period I have put my non hungover time into prepping my front panel. I have been carefully removing the old chassis legs and inner wings from the second hand panel. Powerfile and grinder being weapons of choice.

Then last night I went to visit Arun to drop off some parts and it would be rude not to get him to do some welding whilst I was there. :wub: He pulled a mega shift and boxed off all the holes along the radiator tray. Legend!

Front Panel 'n' Ting by Winstang, on Flickr

Then I gave it abit more of a going over and put some primer on it. Just the holes on the back side and attaching it left to do.

Top Side Done by Winstang, on Flickr

Arun also gave me another small alternator like I already had but this one is brand new.

New Mini Alternator by Winstang, on Flickr

In other news the Scirocco is back on it's wheels for the first time in 20 months. I have fully moved out of the unit and it is chilling in my Granddads garage until I have room to bring it home to finish the front panel etc. sorry for the instagram picture but its all I have.

mark83

Post by mark83 »

Great work as always, very impressed with the notches .So have you decided on a colour yet ?will it be the colour of the drivers side turret?

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti
Winston

Post by Winston »

Cheers Mark. I am lucky to have such a good welding team to help me out and yes its going L11C Bright Yellow, I trailed the colour on my Revell scale model. haha

Winston

Post by Winston »

I got few hours in on the Rocco last weekend. It was spent cleaning off surface rust and priming any bare metal.

Temporary Home by Winstang, on Flickr

Notch No2 by Winstang, on Flickr

Not long now by Winstang, on Flickr

Winston

Post by Winston »

After the chaos of moving out the unit things can finally start moving forward again. This weekend has been spent cleaning my engine ready for paint. I normally use Autoglym engine and machine cleaner but having just drained the tank on the cabriolet so I put petrol in a squirty bottle, works wonders.

Cleaned by Winstang, on Flickr

I am planning on just clear coating the head so this has to be very clean, it is getting there but once I get a head bolt tool I will remove the head for its final clean.

Clean zoom by Winstang, on Flickr

And I couldn't resist a trumpet trail. :pilot:

Rude not to trail the trumpets by Winstang, on Flickr

Winston

Post by Winston »

I painted the block Friday night and Saturday morning. I think I am now going to paint the gearbox as well. The bare ally is just not turning out the way I imagined. I am very happy with the grey, it deffo ticks the tractor box!

IMG_6600 by Winstang, on Flickr

Vintage box 01 by Winstang, on Flickr

Then this afternoon I went to the car to do some mocking up to see how shorter shocks I need. the answer is very short. haha

IMG_6572 by Winstang, on Flickr

IMG_6554 by Winstang, on Flickr

IMG_6576 by Winstang, on Flickr

My friend Brian also popped down and dropped of a replica front lip he made from my early front panel. This one is for sale because I have an original full panel to fit. he is willing to make others if there is interest.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.