'88 Scala, 20 valve turbo, ATS Centras

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
RobinJI
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: '88 Scala, 20 valve turbo, New wheels

Post by RobinJI »

I thought I'd stick a quick update in here as it's been a little while. There's been another wheel change and some fiddling with engine mounts and pipe-work to tidy things up a bit, but otherwise it's just been being used really:

treefingers
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: '88 Scala, 20 valve turbo, ATS Centras

Post by treefingers »

i've read through all of your build on other forums, it gave me ideas for my 20v conversion :)

nice to see this car is still going :)

RobinJI

Post by RobinJI »

Thanks treefinger. Just had a look through your build, it looks awesome! Do ask away if you've got any questions about the swap. I really wish I'd had the time to do mine to a higher standard. Hopefully over the next year it'll be getting a fair bit of love, and quite a change in direction.

Are you on Retro Rides/Audi-sport then?

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

No I'm not on there, i've just been searching MK2 20v conversion in google and reading every thread I find, that's how I came across yours :) Thanks, doubt I'll be asking for your help at some point!

What are the plans for the change? The wheels are cool btw

RobinJI

Post by RobinJI »

Plans are a bit cash-flow dependent, but hopefully it'll be getting built up for track use. I want to keep the exterior subtle, and it'll definitely keep the ATS for road use (I really like them!) but other than the dash and door cards the interior will be getting binned/sold and replaced with a cage/buckets/harnesses/extinguisher.

I'll feel kind of bad in some ways, because I do like the current super '80s OEM+ look, but the shell's not really economical to get to a standard I'd be happy with as a show/road car, it's not rusty, but it is battered. It's on silly mileage now and it's starting to show. I've had an itch for a track car for ages, and I think there's not enough Sciroccos out there proving their ability. The long term aim will be to hill-climb it, but not in the 2014 season anyway.

I'm not sure how much money I'll have to throw at it though, I'm co-driving for a friend in some stage rallys this year, which will probably eat a fair bit of my disposable income! Being chucked around in what's basically an ex-works mk2 Astra should be fun though! (Every time I see/hear his car I end up drooling over straight cut dog gear sets.)

treefingers

Post by treefingers »

yeah bodywork is expensive and so intensive. at least with a cage it'll handle well.. i can't wait to know what it's like to drive a 20v mk2.

ah i'm jealous. went to see the WRC in wales last weekend and I all this week I've been pining to be in a car flying through forests.

Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Does the 20vt engine and gearbox not mount on the standard Scirocco kit then?

I love your 'rocco dude, big fan of it over on t-f. I keep looking at new engines for mine for the new year, the old 8v is on 225000 now. I was almost dead set on the 16v route as I've done it a few times in the past but this 20vt business is getting more and more tempting, especially as the prices for engines are coming down.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Nope, you need the converted mounts. Easily available but not cheap.
Been out in more than one 20vt'd A1 chassis and they were superb.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
RobinJI

Post by RobinJI »

Cheers Boumsong (it's Alan isn't it?).

Yeah, if you keep the old box it can be bolted straight in if you convert the engine to a fixed cam-belt tensioner, (obviously you've still got to sort the plumbing/wiring) but if you want a box that'll actually last then you need different gearbox mounts as well as needing to convert the shell to cable shift and hydraulic clutch (both of which are a huge improvement over the standard Scirocco kit in my eyes.)

Edit: Oh yeah, the old 'rocco flew through it's MOT on Tuesday, advisories for low front tyres (to be replaced come pay-day) and one slack track rod end (annoying as it was new a couple of months ago) and it's got a fresh 12 months on it. I also sorted my insurance yesterday, £610 for the year, with everything declared through Brentacre. More than I'd like, but all things considered I thought that was actually a good price. (I'm only 24 and the car's daily driven (my only car) doing a fair few miles and parked on the street.)