Sub/ Amp power issue

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
crashbanggg
fill in the right answer: 15

Sub/ Amp power issue

Post by crashbanggg »

I have just tried to install a sub/ amp to my existing setup (Phillips CEM300 with Alpine 6x4's), however I can't seem to get power to the amp? I have connected the remote output from the amp, to the 'Subwoofer out' on the head-unit (By cutting off the plug and twisting the wires together), but still no power. Does anyone have a clue what it could be?

My only other thought would be to split the wire that is powering the Headunit to power the amp as well... or is that a stupid idea?

I'll be getting my hands on a multimeter tonight if I can use that to test anything?

1992 GT2
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Sub/ Amp power issue

Post by Nate »

assuming that you have got the trigger wire connected to something that goes live when you turn the head unit on, check that the main power and earth to the amp are connected properly (particularly the earth connection to the bodywork) and check that the fuse at the battery connection is ok, and the fuse on the amp

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
bengould

Post by bengould »

Ignoring the 4 channel amp in the middle and the capacitor you should have something like this....

If the amp won't turn on you can TEMPORARILY bridge the Main 12v to the remote to see if the amp is at fault.

Ben.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Please don't say you're attempting to power the amp solely by using the blue lead from the head unit..

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

It's a bit confusing to read but that's what I think he's doing.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

Sorry if I haven't explained it very well! I have power to the amp via a power cable directly from battery (only at the point at which I reattached the battery terminal was I made aware that the alarm does in fact work... I never jumped so much in my life)

The issue is, although i am 99% sure it's wired up correctly, the amp isn't powering up when the radio is turned on. As it stands, I have removed the plug on 'sub out' wire from the back of the headunit and attached it to the remote wire from the amp... Which I think should work... But it doesn't.
This is what it looked like before I chopped the plug:

Il test with a multimeter tomorrow to see if the wires get any power when the headunit turns on and see how it goes from there.

1992 GT2
Nate

Post by Nate »

how and to what, have you connected the earth to the amp?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

That's the wrong wire you've chopped... That's AUDIO out to the sub... Your remote should be connected to the power antenna lead (that becomes live when the headunit's switched on, so the antenna goes up)

+1 on Nate's query about the earth too.

crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

I had wondered whether that would be the issue! Il have a play once iv finished lectures.

1992 GT2
crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

And the earth is currently on the same earth as the rear lights, however I'm thinking of moving it to the rear seatbelt belt bolt bit if that would be ok/ work?

1992 GT2
crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

Hooked it up to the Ariel wire and it works perfectly, happy now! Thanks for all the help!

1992 GT2
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

crashbanggg wrote:Hooked it up to the Ariel wire and it works perfectly, happy now! Thanks for all the help!
Out of curiosity, where are you taking the audio feed for the sub from? considering you chopped the audio sub out off lol

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

Jack92 wrote:
crashbanggg wrote:Hooked it up to the Ariel wire and it works perfectly, happy now! Thanks for all the help!
Out of curiosity, where are you taking the audio feed for the sub from? considering you chopped the audio sub out off lol
The headunit has regular RCA (?) outputs as well as the cable so its run via that!

1992 GT2
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

If you reattach the plug (it'll be a 2 core wire - core and screen) , it's already summed mono, and is likely to have a low pass, and potentially a level control on the headunit.

Any earth is OK - as long as it's a good connection. - If it works happily how it is, leave it alone!

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

Oooh, i see you're a part-time local too (I'm just at Coalville) ... I'm rocco-less these days, but we have a bit of a fleet of other '90s VWs - I'll give you a wave if I see you!