Mk1 bumper colour

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Mk1 bumper colour

Post by mark1gls »

Did they ever make the mk1 plastic bumper in brown?
I spent most of Sunday cleaning a 2nd hand bumper I brought last year, it was painted badly with black paint and the odd bit of yellow overspray, all the paint came off with out damaging the textured finish with using a scouring pad and lots of water, it looked rather grey when I finished so I used some Meguiars ultimate protectant dash and trim restorer which I use on my currant bumper and black bits, came up looking lovely but in the sunlight it sort of looks brown? I have not had chance to hold it up against my bumper fitted to the car but if you hold black paper against it, it looks dark brown.....
The part number on the bumper is 531 807 821 BDO
Any ideas?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Re: Mk1 bumper colour

Post by mark1gls »

Well I've never seen one but I think I have a brown bumper...
With flash
Without flash

Well It looks like I'll have to remove my plastic cover and put it on the other bumper or is bumper paint any good? Will I also have to paint my rear bumper to match?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
79 Scirocco

Post by 79 Scirocco »

that looks brown alright. some matt black should work. :vcool:

Phil

Post by Phil »

79 Scirocco wrote:that looks brown alright:
Yep definitely agree.

I wonder what colour cars these were fitted to, trying to decide if it would look kinda cool on my brazil brown MK1 :dunno:

Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDI Le Mans
'78 Scirocco GLi Brazil Brown

mark83

Post by mark83 »

My 78 colibri green has brown bumpers , first set in brown I have seen .

76 auto , 78 gls , 83gti
Tee3

Post by Tee3 »

VW listed 2 different parts for the plastic front bumper on European models.
They had colour codes suffixed - 06W which is Anthractite Grey, and 01C Which is black.

The 06W was available in limited numbers from Karmann only.

There is no seperate part number for a brown bumper, usually it would be the same part as the black and grey but with a 90V suffix for saddle brown.

All a bit odd as there are clearly some out there, and that definately looks like saddle brown.

I often wonder about stuff like this, if it wasnt just a case of a cock up when they were injection moulded.

I have a contact at VW who could maybe check if anyone is really interested, it depends how much information they still have.