Let project GT commence

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
gtsteve
fill in the right answer: 10

Let project GT commence

Post by gtsteve »

I have finally got round to starting a project thread due to bad back. :ire:
I bought the car in july and progess has been slow but finally feeling confident it may be on the road in spring.
As you can see its helios blue, when i got the car it was a little rough but only 80,000 miles it is mostly mechanically sound.
I started by giving the BBS RA's a bit of a clean up and spray (temporary finish as really need sand blasting), look heaps better.
then i started to repair a dent in passanger door along with repairing damaged pillar after previous owner tried to remove vinyl strips with a knife :diablo: , this lead to me spotting loads of little imperfections so will be doing fully respray. Still have dent in drivers wing to sort and remove plastics (SCARED :beg:) to check arches and repair as requied.

Veiwing before perchase

Home and looking ok ish

Inside
Last edited by gtsteve on Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scirobbo

Re: Let project GT commence

Post by Scirobbo »

Looks nice, will be good to see it finished. I like what you did with the black and silver on the BBS alloys. I have the same ones but mine are 14 inch. Will hopefuly upgrade to 15's when/if i find some! :)

Rob.

gtsteve

Post by gtsteve »

Three weeks off work with sciatica drove me nearly crazy, was unable to work on car at all but did manage to tidy up the badges a little. Funny really as I'm not even sure at the moment if they will even be refitted.
the masking tape idea was a failure in the end sprayed silver then hand painted with flat black. Not sure about the red at the moment.

Boredom strikes

Here is a before and after of wheels
Bad RA's
Little better now
Last edited by gtsteve on Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Living the dream........
gtsteve

Post by gtsteve »

Its been a while since i last posted, life seems to have a habbit of getting in the way of all things scirocco.
I have been busy though. I have removed passenger door to straighten out and is now in primer. The drivers wing has been off to repair now awaiting primer.
OH i also managed to crack windscreen whilst removing it :blush: i supose one out of eight windows isn't to bad :crying:
will post some pictures soon, these will include the rust i found under the body kit.
Guess all thats left before paint is the welding and removing vinyl from boot where the spoiler lives.
Maybe i can get it back on the road by june.

Windows out and awaiting primer
Last edited by gtsteve on Thu May 30, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Living the dream........
Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

I'm the same. My Scirocco has been off the road for several months now, what with doing my bike test and doing my old daily Vectra up, it seems to have taken a back seat. It's in pieces in the garage. I'd started to strip the engine bay to try and get it looking semi respectable and now most of the bits (including bonnet) reside in the summer house (mrs not happy). Could do with getting everything out and having a week off work to sort it. At least while its in there it's not having miles put on it. I miss the old thing greatly though!

gtsteve

Post by gtsteve »

Lots has changed since my last post. I have managed to completely sort drivers wing, remove plastics and prime front end as a lot of bare metal.

Tin worm strikes

And some more

Door Attacked

Grey and on the mend

I have started to make up some repair panels for the car. So far I have made two for the drivers door and one for the windscreen seal in bottom drivers side corner.

Car not looking like being ready till end of summer now if I'm lucky, but i have decided that all the effort will be worth it as all bodywork will be sound.
Good things come to those that wait I keep getting told by her indoors, but she still keeps coming home.
Last edited by gtsteve on Thu May 30, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Living the dream........
gtsteve

Post by gtsteve »

Here is a pic of a repair piece i made for the door just some trimming required before welding.

Lately I have felt like its never ending but definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel this evening. I have forgotten how it drives its been so long.
Last edited by gtsteve on Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Living the dream........
Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

How did you get on with removing the side windows? Gotta take mine out soon as I'm going to replace the headlining. I take it they just pop out? Might get a screen fitter to pop the windscreen out. :)

Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

Car looks as though its coming on great by the way, when I restored my MGB roadster with my dad I quite enjoyed the metal work involved. Is it any closer to being on the road?

gtsteve

Post by gtsteve »

Its been an age since i last posted on my project. it seems that I always end up having to rush to put everything away due to rain and forget photos here are a couple but will post more tomorrow as things are moving well now.

front end waiting colour

taking dash out for repair around screen. I am going to try repairing crack in dash whilst out

Parts bought for the re assembly

Only needed the rubber as cut mine after trashing windscreen. Boot and glass will need a new home once i have removed seal

460mile round trip for parts was worth it just for the screen all parts above £90 i even got a new seal for boot lock.

any way tomorrow i hope to get fuel tank back in and lowing springs on then its just a case of sorting imperfections before paint as all welding done (really pleased with repair at base of screen). More photos tomorrow.

ps. anyone going to alive and vdubin next week my one and only local show needless to say my scirocco wont be on display :ire:
Last edited by gtsteve on Thu May 30, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Living the dream........
gtsteve

Post by gtsteve »

Well today has been a good day i managed to get my petrol tank back in on my own, this was very fiddly as i have the larger tank and needed to drop the beam. Whilst i had the beam dropped it made sense to remove the rear springs and replace. managed to get all back together no dramas today just got to pop drivers door back on then i can go round and sort all imperfections before paint, this includes final finishing of arches and base of screen.

one spring broken and the other didn't seem the same!!!

spot the difference

nearly finished

still needs final smoothing etc but better than the massive hole once there

dash repair on cards ordered bits last night

I an quite pleased as although I have welded in the past never thin steel like on arches and screen

More soon
Last edited by gtsteve on Thu May 30, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Living the dream........
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Is it just me but I cant see the pictures?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
gtsteve

Post by gtsteve »

They were there yesterday I can't see them on phone will check on laptop once misses gets off Facebook

Living the dream........
gtsteve

Post by gtsteve »

pictures seem to work on laptop but don't show on my phone???? i imported the image URL from dropbox will try and fix.

Living the dream........
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

They only seem to work if someone is logged-in to your dropbox; you'll either need to change the privacy settings or host them elsewhere.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX