First things you would do after buying a Mk1

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
lewp91
fill in the right answer: 10

First things you would do after buying a Mk1

Post by lewp91 »

Alright guys, you might notice that I'm going to be a bit more active on here since actually being in the financial situation to be able to buy a mk1 scirocco!
(viewing on Sunday and hopefully buying too so long as its good enough!)

I'm not asking about mods etc, but I would like to know the first things you would do to a new (to you) mk1?

I know the rocco had brakes, wheel bearings, brake lines, fuel lines, fuel filler and a few other things replaced last year for the MOT.

All fluids, filters, plugs, belts go without saying... (timing will also be verified using a very handy guide i found online)

maybe shims for the tappets? again i found a guide so i will be buying some feeler gauges and a new type non-cork gasket ;)
I would also like to check the afr to ensure the k-jet system is running correctly so some time soon I'm going to have to bribe someone local to help me out there ;) :beers:
but what about injectors.. can you still get new ones? because they've only got a recommended life of 60,000km according to Bosch.

I'll also be sticking a flash light in the tank just to check if there is any clogging or rusty bits in there.. (seeing as the fuel filler pipe was replaced)

I'll be looking to get some new tyres as i feel the ones on it at the mo are a bit old... any recommendations? its got both a set of GLI alloys and some mk1 steelies too..
both 13" 5.5J (wagon wheels!) I'll be looking to put the alloys on it, but what tyre size is correct? (or at least recommended by you guys?)
I see 155 sr 13.. (aspect ratio?) and 175 sr 13 (again whats the correct aspect ratio?) on the original documents scanned in on the tech specs side of the site.

(I also have a PDF bentley manual for the mk1 golf cabbie and mk1/2 scirocco inc 16v)

anything else i should be considering?

Cheers guys :beers:

Lew

(yes a very odd time to post but unfortunately due to university I am indeed now nocturnal :dash: )

Ryan

Re: First things you would do after buying a Mk1

Post by Ryan »

Seems like you've got a good list to start on.

I'd say it 'll depend on what you want to do with the car as to what you need to address first...

Basically if it has corrosion issues (however small) make sure you attend to them as soon as is practical - maybe run it this summer and sort it out in the winter - by then you'll more than likely have a few more things that will want your attantion.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

You pretty much listed the important things, but like Ryan said, check the bodywork first. That's going to be the most difficult to sort (no parts), before you tackle all the mechanicals.

Tempest

My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
Corrado Club of GB Events Manager
lewp91

Post by lewp91 »

cheers guys, body is definitely on my list, i'm just going to assess it and then look at where I can get it done cheaply but professionally, were there any repair panels still available for the mk1? (I understand that there isn't any front late wings)

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

There are pattern parts like sills, rear arches, lower rear corners & lower rear valance (and earlier wings I think).
No doors, bonnets, front panels, roof or tailgates AFAIK.
But once you know what you might need, you can track most things down - you just need patience (and possibly luck! (and possibly lots of money!))

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
lewp91

Post by lewp91 »

hahah, cheers Ryan :) I'll be asking for what ever it needs if anything if I do get this one.. :P

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Always worth bearing in mind that it will be more cost effective to start with a solid car unless you enjoy bodywork and will be doing it yourself.

You're welcome to come and see my Storm for comparison and see whether the price difference is worth it (my Storm is still notionally for sale). It would seem silly not to look at the few other options you have.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
lewp91

Post by lewp91 »

I completely understand Edmundator, unfortunately I'm currently at uni in Hertfordshire at the moment, I genuinely looked at your for sale thread, and as much as i would, with the future plans I've got installed, I feel it would be wrong to do it to such a good example of a storm.. if i recall correctly, was it not from Northern Ireland on car and classic?

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Pretty much what has been said about bodywork/corrosion! Even when I had my first MK1 back in 1985 (it was a 78 GLi) there was rust issues!

Never heard of injectors being needed at 60,000km, that is only 40,000 miles? However, these have the earlier injectors which are the same as my MK2 Storm, and I replaced all 4 back in 2011 with new ones from Bosch at about £40 each!

The rocker cover gasket is a good advancement from a cork one, but you will have to change the studs which if you buy from VW, come in the pack.

Tyre wise, the cars were fitted with 175/70/13 HR as standard.

I know a good old skool VW mechanic in Essex (Chelmsford), that I can highly recommend for any issues with the K-Jet.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Make sure it's cheap or solid, then. My car isn't from Northern Ireland, I bought it from The Autoad.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
lewp91

Post by lewp91 »

the edmundator wrote:Make sure it's cheap or solid, then. My car isn't from Northern Ireland, I bought it from The Autoad.
sorry my bad,

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Might be worth fitting front wheel arch liners, there is a great mud trap just above the indicator, mk1 golf liners fit with a bit of trimming. Did this to mine and glad I did with all this dry weather we've had the last couple of years!

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
lewp91

Post by lewp91 »

Brilliant advice right there, cheers mate