Fiberglass Panels, what's out there?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
RobinJI
fill in the right answer: 10

Fiberglass Panels, what's out there?

Post by RobinJI »

Hi guys. I'm just wondering what's about in terms of composite mk2 Scirocco panels at the moment.

I'm wanting to put my 1.8t'd Scala on a diet, and I'm considering making moulds to produce some fibreglass panels for it, but if there's something already on the market for sensible money then there's no point in me wasting my time if I can just buy them.

The panels I'm wanting (in the order I'd do them): Spoiler, bumpers, bonnet, roof, maybe wings then doors eventually.

So yeah, is there anything out there to save me some trouble?

PS, If I do end up making some I'd let my work hang onto the moulds so they could add them to their range meaning they'd be available in fibreglass and carbon for the foreseeable future. (I work for a composites manufacturer, mostly do stuff for classic minis/racecars, but we're slowly adding some watercooled VW bits.) I'm sure some group buy discounts could be sorted too for members on here. (In fact if there was enough demand for them I could make them even if they are currently available anyway.)

PPS, sorry if this seams like advertising, it's really not meant to be, just wanting to see what's out there really.

The Autoad

Re: Fiberglass Panels, what's out there?

Post by The Autoad »

Get in touch with Smith and Deakin, i recall that they did some Mk2 wings and maybe a bonnet some time ago, but not sure if they are still producing them.

There would likely be some interest in here for new stuff.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
RobinJI

Post by RobinJI »

Ah cool, thanks. They list front wings at £90 each, that'd be nice if they're still making them, and if they're half decent as wings are fairly tedious to make moulds for and mine aren't really straight enough to mould off of, they'd need a fair bit of contouring to get usable. I'll have to get in touch and see what they say.

Any leads on places for the other bits?

Brunty

Post by Brunty »

I looked into fibre glass wings and bonnets a long time ago. There wasn't/isn't a manufacturer for off the shelf parts. An old mate and I went and got some moulds made up with new old stock wings. The panels turned out to weigh at least as much as the standard steel items. The only bonus is no rust. They were also tricky to get them fitted just right, but looked quite decent once on.

Personally I wouldn't bother, unless you're racing, as the shell is pretty light. You can cut strengthening bits off the bonnet and bumpers, of course.

Brunty